• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Starting Prolonged Exposure Therapy (PE) (Advice?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally understand not wanting to use medication. It’s a decision you get to make for you and the professionals should work with you on making sure whatever treatment method is appropriate for you. Without input from you, the treatment they choose will be based on their experience and training of course.

So, might be difficult to explain why you’re hesitant, but worthwhile to try so your T can chat with you about what might or might not work for you.

For me it took a bunch of work, and in the end I decided to take a low dose of medication in conjunction with the exposure as recommended by my T. We haven’t finished the plan.....but we will. There was progress for sure, but it’s difficult. In my case, the meds did help stabilize so I didn’t fall into a rabbit hole.

If I wasn’t working full time, perhaps I could have done it without meds. But needing to be ready and functional at a high level was integral to my decision to try the meds with the exposure.

I also found it important for me to set ground rules between my T and I. Things that made me safe to T and those that made him safe to me. No unexpected things. Cuz I didn’t know how exactly I’d react.

Totally understand not wanting to use medication. It’s a decision you get to make for you and the professionals should work with you on making sure whatever treatment method is appropriate for you. Without input from you, the treatment they choose will be based on their experience and training of course.

So, might be difficult to explain why you’re hesitant, but worthwhile to try so your T can chat with you about what might or might not work for you.

For me it took a bunch of work, and in the end I decided to take a low dose of medication in conjunction with the exposure as recommended by my T. We haven’t finished the plan.....but we will. There was progress for sure, but it’s difficult. In my case, the meds did help stabilize so I didn’t fall into a rabbit hole.

If I wasn’t working full time, perhaps I could have done it without meds. But needing to be ready and functional at a high level was integral to my decision to try the meds with the exposure.

I also found it important for me to set ground rules between my T and I. Things that made me safe to T and those that made him safe to me. No unexpected things. Cuz I didn’t know how exactly I’d react.
Then, if it worked/works for you, Warrior C., then I'd also be open to try low-dosing on something or other for a mild effect of some kind if my T thinks that that'd be ideal. I really just want to get out from this whole PTSD thing asap, so the 'hard yards' PE way just sounds like the fastest route. But it'll be months yet until I can expect to hear from the Police as to whether or not they'll be re-opening my case if they do find any more vics, after I finally disclosed what happened to me to the church itself 2 weeks ago. After 33 years, there could be many more vics, and some may be gone of course, the thought of which terrifies me for obvious reasons. My T's now twice mentioned going into hospital, but when I asked how doing that could help he hedged a bit, so idk.

Yep....hard charging thru ptsd is a place I understand as well. Made the mistake of pushing too hard a couple times and falling down. Plenty of amazing folks here told me, it’s not a race but a marathon, when I was frustrated that it wasn’t getting better.

It still kicks my ass regularly, but the difference now is -
- I’m more aware of my symptoms
- I’ve got more tools or techniques to try to cope
- I am better able to explain my struggles to my T because I trust him (took a long time)

Those 3 things in my opinion are vital before going into PE. If you feel you need to build in any of those areas, then it might be good to focus there for a bit.

The med T had me use was propranolol....if you wanted to ask about it.

Good luck whatever you decide

Yep....hard charging thru ptsd is a place I understand as well. Made the mistake of pushing too hard a couple times and falling down. Plenty of amazing folks here told me, it’s not a race but a marathon, when I was frustrated that it wasn’t getting better.

It still kicks my ass regularly, but the difference now is -
- I’m more aware of my symptoms
- I’ve got more tools or techniques to try to cope
- I am better able to explain my struggles to my T because I trust him (took a long time)

Those 3 things in my opinion are vital before going into PE. If you feel you need to build in any of those areas, then it might be good to focus there for a bit.

The med T had me use was propranolol....if you wanted to ask about it.

Good luck whatever you decide
Many thanks. I did indeed want to ask you what the name of your drug was, but I didn't want to put you on the spot. I will talk with him on Monday & be open to whatever his experience indicates. Much obliged to you W.C. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back