• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Uk News Story Involving Ptsd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jestadud

MyPTSD Pro
I am surprised that I haven't seen any reference on here regarding an ongoing news story here in the UK about a British Asian who's wife was killed while they were on honeymoon in South Africa.

I am not clever enough to cut and paste stuff from another part of the internet to here, so maybe someone else can provide that to clarify the situation. Also I might be putting this in the wrong section, maybe it ought to be in "World Ptsd News" if so I apologise and will accept the telling off.

Long story short.
A couple were on honeymoon in South Africa. After visiting a restaurant they asked the driver to take them for a drive through a Township. The cab was held up at gunpoint and the husband thrown out, his wife was later found shot dead.

Husband flew back to the UK, then taxi driver is charged with murder and implicates the husband for setting the whole thing up!

South African Police want to extradite the husband, he protest's that he won't get a fair trial there and doesn't want to go back there. As court proceeding continues it become's known that husband has Ptsd.

Latest news is that husband has been committed to a secure unit suffering from severe Ptsd.

Things that bother me.
I want to believe it's untrue, an attractive young couple, why marry someone just to murder them?
Is "Severe Ptsd" a new category?
Is Ptsd being put forward as a reason for the murder?
Is Ptsd being put forward as a result of the murder?
Is Ptsd being put forward as a reason not to stand trial?
After the successful World Cup Finals and all the good publicity are the South Africans capable of setting a foreigner up in an attempt to protect the good image they achieved?
Is it my Ptsd that makes that last comment seem reasonable?
Am I wrong to be upset that my wife gives me a special look when this comes on the news?

If you haven't seen it do a Google search then pass on your opinions please.

Thanks for that Anthony, first time in this section as I've seen the row's going on and kept well clear.

Politics and Religion! Not subjects I like to get into "discussion's" about. :speechless:

Being in the UK, I have seen this story but not the PTSD side of it.

I want to believe it's untrue, an attractive young couple, why marry someone just to murder them?

I can believe it, why marry someone just to murder them, one word MONEY. I would imagine that there would be insurance of some sort and yes, some people are that callous.

Am I wrong to be upset that my wife gives me a special look when this comes on the news?

IMHO it takes a special sort of evil person to plan and carry out such a murder. I don't think PTSD should be accepted as an out clause. This takes meticulous planning, is someone with 'severe PTSD' capable of such planning? I don't think so. If someone with PTSD does kill someone I think it would be a spur of the moment, pushed to the extreme and snap. Your wife should take comfort - you don't come across as an evil person, just a warped sense of humour:D.

It is a sobering thought, are we with PTSD going to be looked at as 'dangerous'. I may have issues but I have never been threatening to anything more than a big spider.

It is a sobering thought, are we with PTSD going to be looked at as 'dangerous'.

Unfortunately the existence of this viewpoint is not that far fetched. This is exactly the view that has been presented in some towns where there are military basis by the media.

It is sad that a few isolated incidents get blown out of proportion and create a "generalized" view of a PTSD sufferer. But focusing on the numbers and the lack of resources to treat does not increase ratings or viewers.

Being in the UK, I have seen this story but not the PTSD side of it.
I can believe it, why marry someone just to murder them, one word MONEY. I would imagine that there would be insurance of some sort and yes, some people are that callous.

I understand what you are saying, but the guy is wealthy in his own right and we should make it clear that it hasn't been proven that this guy actually done what he has been accused of. As I see it the publicity is about whether he would get a fair trial over there and if he is fit to stand trial anyway.

IMHO it takes a special sort of evil person to plan and carry out such a murder. I don't think PTSD should be accepted as an out clause. This takes meticulous planning, is someone with 'severe PTSD' capable of such planning? I don't think so.

Then did he do it? Is it meticulous planning or half baked spur of the moment stuff, it involved a taxi driver not a trained assassin as far as I can tell.

I think what unsettles me most about the use of Ptsd in this case is the way it was reported on the news when I'm sat at the dinner table with my family, made me very uncomfortable.

I couldn't work out if the reporter meant it as "nudge nudge wink wink Ptsd you know what they're like" or "Here's an escape clause he now has Ptsd, Hmmm"

Surely if things happened as the guy said it would be perfectly natural for him to develop Ptsd.

I've seen this in the news again recently. The latest is the judge has said he can be sent back to SA to stand trail.

It has been reported that he has been suffering from PTSD since his wife's murder, NOT before. Like you say Jestadud, if he was innocent and experienced the things he did then he could have the criteria for PTSD.

A previous judge sent him to a be detained in a secure mental hospital so I imagine he had good reason to do so.

I think the general publics understanding of PTSD is so poor that when a case like this is in the news PTSD should be explained more. Instead people just believe he's putting it on to avoid extradition.

I hope he gets a fair trial in SA and if he is innocent and has got PTSD then I feel very sorry for him. Dont' forget, it's innocent until proven guilty in the UK regardless for what the press might say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back