• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Us politics - read first post before comment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not very surprised by the ruling (which is limited solely to publishing blueprints, and is in response to violating export laws, rather than arms sales)... although suspect the limitation on .50 and up will be overturned sooner rather than later... and would have to disagree that it’s StreetMarch level.

It’s pretty analogous to instructions of how to make bombs, or culture microbes, or manufacture drugs, or refine uranium being allowed to be published in books or online. No matter how correct or incorrect the information itself is. from the deeply flawed anarchists cookbook to university textbooks.

We have exceptionally long precedent in this country in not censoring potentially dangerous information.

The information itself is legal. The actions contained therein are often not. Publishing a blueprint? No problem. Using the blueprint? Many layers of problems. Whether it’s a garage or a gun, there are permitting processes to go through, and penalties to be paid (fines to imprisonment) if requirements aren’t met.

Last edited:
Have you ever seen one of those 3d printed guns work? That stuff is plastic. The 3D printers that can do metal, they sure can do marvelous work, but the metal is not strong enough to work on a gun. The plastic they use for the 3D prints, unless you spend high dollar on the printer and a specialty plastic, count on it only printing the gun, and not a working model. IF it works, you'll get maybe a couple rounds. OTOH, the specialty printer that can do this using special plastic, we're now talking tens of thousands of dollars. You can build, from scratch using the blueprints and a bastard file, a working firearm a lot safer than the 3D printers can do at this time.

I have seen personally a two shot over-under derringer & a 4 shot revolver that was 99.9% ceramic. I watched the man that made them get them past both a scanner and a good frisking. Only two things that are not ceramic- the spring and the gun powder. Everything else is ceramic. Even the bullet is ceramic. And those are far easier & cheaper and more reliable than the 3D printed firearms and they can fire a lot more.

Just because it can be done does not mean it is affordable or available to the public.

@cactus_jack - did you read the article...this guy is selling the machinery to make these weapons. He is not selling the blue prints.

In terms of having the blue prints I disagree that they should be so easily available. Various political regimes have done some appalling things to acquire the technical information and blue prints to make various weapons. A lot has been done and is still being done to continue to stop this happening.

It seems there is political Will to ensure that rogue nations do not become so equipped. Yet on a domestic and even world wide level the small arms trade (which must account for most in country (domestic) deaths) - is given free reign?

I still do not understand.

I agree with you...ceramic weapons and ammo are probably more reliable. But the 3D printers can and have made weapons that do seem to work. The article describes a firearm working correctly...whether or not it would have continued to operate upon repeated firing is another matter and the article doesn't give any indication. People are paying for the machines and this bloke's company is expanding to accommodate it's growing number of consumers.

I haven't been reading this thread for the most part. I appreciate it, though.

I am *intensely* triggered by the state of our country and its leader. Today is one of those days I want to die. Dealing with the effects of abuse and trauma in childhood (and beyond) is hard enough. Feeling that same sense of danger on a constant basis because of people in charge of our safety leaves me with a sense of hopelessness.

It's nearly impossible to avoid. It permeates every aspect of society. I'm trying, but have just not been very successful.

The author of - What you need to know about 3D printed guns and why you don’t need to fear them - sums up the debate in this manner:
One side is selling fear of easily created guns that can be printed off like photocopies overrunning our street, and the other side is pretending that because a gun can be made in someone’s home then there is no reason to restrict any kind of access to guns period.
And proceeds to explain that both sides are wrong.

3D printed guns are considerably labor intensive to make, each part has to be printed on its own, and they are almost single use weapons. Firing them leads to parts breaking that have to be reprinted before it can be used again.

They make some good points.

It’s not time to despair - no matter what side of the debate one is on.

Ok, I read the first article, will read the second one later on. My opinion? Ok.
I'm alive. You're alive. That technology is out there. And we are still alive. Just because the technology is there-the ways the means and clearly the intent to create-does not mean it's the end of the world and some wacko is gonna run amuck blowing everyone and everything to hell. Just as you have a few wackjobs out there, you have far more sane people that actually do care. You have far fewer wackjobs than good people. And the wackjobs know that. There is far more going on than what the media shares when they talk about mass shootings. I can dive into that later.

I also take into consideration the oath I gave when I enlisted in the US Army long ago. With God as my witness, I vowed...
"I, _____, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic;
that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."
(I would give you the link to the oath I gave but once again I'm on Anthony's naughty list)

I'm still alive. You're still alive. That technology is still out there and it's only going to become easier. It's not the end of the world because people exercise their Constitutionally protected rights. Just as it can make evil guns it can make tools for the disabled so they can live better lives.

Unless Friday gets into office, then we're all doomed for sure!

You know after reading both articles I am now not so disturbed by the 3D printers. I wonder who is buying the GG's? I don't care really now.

I don't care much about the blue prints because if one is really serious about making a gun there are numerous ways of doing it without blue prints. But the machinery to do so is another issue.

I guess I do care about this one single person wanting to exploit a constitutional freedom for evil? That gets to me.

As for Friday becoming president Yes!! Come on Friday...:roflmao::playful::wacky:

I don't know if there are any Trump supporters who are still following this thread. If there are, can someone explain to me why I should not be concerned that he's attacking our longtime allies while praising dictators? (I'll grant that Putin, technically, was elected, but no one seriously thinks Russia a democracy, do they?)

What about the comments about how he wishes "his people" revered him like the people of North Korea revere their "dear leader". Come on, doesn't that make your skin crawl, just a little?

Iirc the "ghost Gunner" was a very low cost cnc mill for making AR15 lower receivers out of aluminium

The receiver is the only part of a gun that comes under fe'ral controls. It's the bit of a gun that gets a serial number on it

So long as the gun is for the maker's own use and is not going to be transferred to another person, there's no statutory requirement to put a serial number on

The lower receiver of an AR15 or its bigger and older sibling, the AR10, is only subjected to minimal stresses. It's job is to contain and hold the fire control (trigger disconnector and hammer along with their springs) and the magazine and it's catch
Along with the pistol grip.

Upper receivers and all of the other working parts (barrels, bolts heads, bolt carriers, springs etc) are not subject to fe'ral statutory restrictions

AR 15 blueprints are freely available and have been for several decades.

All that Cody Wilson's machine does, is to make it slightly easier and cheaper for people to do something that it is perfectly legal to do - to make a gun for their own personal use

To use a gun to hurt a non aggressive individual, is not legal (at least it's not legal for most people to do. If you put a fancy costume on and perform some quasi religious rites, you can get a free pass to legally be able to hurt non aggressive individuals).

To equate the first, non aggressive and perfectly legal action, buyinv a machine to make a lower receiver, with hurting non aggressive individuals, is to take a very big leap.

The (IMO shitty and unreasonably accident prone) Remington nylon 66 had a plastic combination of stock, receiver and fore end,

- About 40 or 50 years ago!

The "receiver" that gets stamped with the manufacturer's serial number, is a thin, folded piece of Heinz baked bean tin sheet metal, that serves no other purpose thank taking that serial number

It is too thin and flimsy to serve any structural function

But, as the bit that got stamped with a serial number, it's the bit that is subject to fe'ral statutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back