• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Us politics - read first post before comment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, true. I forgot after all the lovey-dovey stuff, lol.

And just a word to anyone who defends this horrible policy -- and it IS a policy of Trump's; it is not law, as he lyingly claims -- I just really, really am at a loss for how anyone with PTSD can stand to see a ton of other people, including young children, are being subjected to conditions that can easily create PTSD. Talk about no support system!! Not even their loving parents! What is wrong with anyone--especially anyone with PTSD who should know better--who thinks this is okay????

Even if we didn't have asylum laws, which border patrol is breaking to persecute these people -- this would still be morally wrong. And I am with Fade. If you don't agree, I don't want to associate with you.

Unfortunately, there sometimes comes a time when people have to stand up for what's right and, when the opposition is so cruel, we have to stand against them. This is one of those times. I never thought I would see this kind of time in my lifetime, but here it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll have to look into it more. I just don't think rampant illegal migration pans out well for countries, in the long run.
I'm not saying he's a lovely person, but I think leaders of countries owe allegiance to their own citizens, primarily.
Shouldn't Mexico be encouraged to sort out their own problems instead of the US making it super easy to move across the border?
I mean you guys have plenty of your own problems already, don't you? I hear homelessness is a pretty significant issue in California, already.
Boundaries are there for a reason.
I think it's compassionate to provide care for children and people on the run aren't usually in the best position to take care of children..
I'm just playing devil's Advocate here.
If you read any of my stuff you'll see that I'm exceedingly focused on children's well-being and being a compassionate human being, so anyone inferring something contrary, doesn't have a lot of actual factual basis for their assertions. I'm not frightened of being accused of something I'm not: been there, done that and I have survived much worse.

I just don't understand the Trump hate. I really don't.

Sigh, how many times do we have to repeat it? This is NOT illegal immigration. These people are coming from Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador. They leave to come because they are threatened with death and their young kids are threatened with being either indoctrinated into gangs or killed. I don't know how they don't qualify as asylum candidates. What is it about that that you don't understand???

And I did notice how you did not address my lengthy message about how it is possible to become a non-racist person.

Trump is a hateful narcissist. If you really suffer from PTSD, it boggles my mind that you can't even see that.

Sorry, I am sick and tired of seeing my beloved country turn into a fascist country because of Trump supporters. Forgive me for being a patriot.

And if you really care about children, why don't you care about the rampant child abuse and trauma being perpetrated by the U.S. government right now?????

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll have to do some more research. I'm not going to get into a big, divisive, emotional accusatory exchange with you or anyone on this site.
I need facts and evidence not an emotional knee jerk and polarized "fighty" argument.
I've seen plenty of how that pans out online.
I'm after facts and logical evidence based arguments. That will convince me more than "you're a horrible person because you don't hate Trump, like I do" kinds of arguments.

Homelessness is huge in the U.S. California just has better conditions and resources than other places. Death by exposure to the elements risk is reduced. There's a lot of opportunity for foraging and in some places the homless can work as street artists versus pan handeling. I have seen some pretty creative things. Middle class people come to California to be homeless for the fteedom experiance. Just avoid the red counties.

Utah was horrible for homelessness. Can't complain about South of Detroit. The weather sucks, but the help is there.

I need facts and evidence not an emotional knee jerk and polarized "fighty" argument.
I've seen plenty of how that pans out online.
Quite right.

Threads like this exist because exercising social interaction is good for the PTSD sufferer. That interaction doesn’t have to be on light, easy topics. It can be on tough topics.

But this site is not the platform for any proselytizing of political (or religious) viewpoints.

Have a conversation. Express views. Be direct - be blunt.

But members should not turn this site into a soapbox. I don’t care how right you think you are. There are sites to go and fight the battles on. This is not one of them.

And before anyone decides to cry, “censorship”!! - this is not censorship. This is maintaining the site for its intended purpose and audience.

I was out of town & missed ask that,, but I'd like to take a shot at clarify a could things for @mumstheword . First, like I think someone else already said, most of the people involved in this mess aren't Mexican citizens. They are from an assortment of central American countries, fleeing an assortment of types of violence. (And I'm going to assume some of them might be bad people.)

The procedure for claiming asylum is to present yourself to authorities at the border and say that's why you are there. You then wait for an immigration judge to decide on your claim. There's a severe shortage of people working in that part of the system, and a long waiting list. There are a number of ways one can wait. In detention being one option. There are also assorted ways a person can be released, pending a legal decision. In the past, those were more often used. Naturally, some people failed to show back up in court. I think there's a lot of debate on how big that problem was. I have no reliable statistics, so I'm not going to go there.

Actually crossing the border undocumented IS a crime. But, like lots of things, it could be charged at different levels. In the past, it was more commonly charged at a lower level, which meant people were released, pending trial. Same situation as above. Some people show up in court, some don't, etc.

At the moment, it appears that locking people up is the preferred course of action. With more people detained, you have more overcrowded and the shortage of staff causes more of a problem.

It's true that someone jailed pending trial for any crime will be separated from their family. A major difference is their family will not also be detained. If there's no one to care for the children, they go into the foster care system. They are not held in mass facilities made from refurbished Wal-Mart stores. They are not held in an entirely different part of the country. There's a pretty good chance they can easily be reunited with their parents in due course.

This is being handled as it is because the powers that be have chosen to go this route. It's more or less within the law, but it's one of several options and it's more severe than options that were usually chosen in the past.

It's ridiculous for the president to blame this on the democrats. His party controls both parts of the legislature. They are the ones in power. The democrats can't change things, unless they choose to do whatever the republicans want them to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back