• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

911 question for anyone who knows more than I do

Status
Not open for further replies.
does multiple after-call pings mean I am being triangulated by the dispatcher? I have made 911 calls from rural points and been pinged
Sort of. The dispatcher can't triangulate you. That has to be done by the phone company, and that means proving that we need the call info. Some times they won't even provide it unless we get a subpoena showing what our reason for asking is....which can really cut into how long it takes to get the info

Multiple pings are common but it doesn't mean they may think you are lying. It's more that the ping has to bounce off 3 different towers to try to get a center point, which also only works if your phone is on. And triangles are really iffy. You can get some seriously screwed up locations before you finally (hopefully) get in the callers general area

And if you are on a burner phone? All bets are off - they rarely give any info so finding someone on one of those can be really, really tough. Might even be impossible

Why full coverage of the area wasn't made a requirement for FCC enforcement of the phone company frequencies is beyond me. Maybe thats a fine they would rather just pay than comply with?
yep. It's been required for years - but the fines are cheaper than upgrading equipment is. If a few people die along the way? Collateral damage. 😡
911 texts should get an automatic reply- "use the phone in your hand sweetheart"
yes!
My phone works everywhere I regularly go except for my house and property, same for many of my neighbors. we have to get our calls on the internet by using a "network extender".
Ya - gotta love those voip calls. grrrrrrr...

This is why the dispatcher will drive you nuts making you repeat your location -- because it is way more hit and miss than the cell/voip companies will admit to

911 texts are presumably deaf
That and anyone else who isn't in a position to talk on the phone. Think "hiding in the closet from the bad guys". Also, at least around here, there are a lot of places where you might have a good enough signal to send a text, but not to successfully complete a phone call. My house is actually one of those places, I was just lucky the call went through and we stayed connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back