• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

About EMDR - My Counsellor is Recommending It

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry... fractures = bone fractures... I was born with a bone condition that resulted in looking, acting and feeling normal but anytime I tried to act normal, I risked breaking any bone I may put to any stress... so say I decided to try to ride a bike and didn't do it quite right... the crash would end like a freeway pile-up and ambulances on the scene.

I don't know how many bones I've broken in my life because I only kept track of my legs... 70 different leg fractures, many resulting in surgery and hundreds upon hundreds of arm, hand, food, finger and other bones. I thought the song, "King of Pain" was written for me.

Oh NA... not nice at all. No wonder you have PTSD after living with that condition your life. Not nice at all. Yes, I would imagine under those circumstances because the longevity and severity of the condition, EMDR would bring back too much too fast, thus you could not deal with it all, thus you would simply be overloaded and cease functioning, if not border minor brain damage also.

EMDR is a very complicated technique, very complicated, and it takes over two years of practice to even come close to getting it right. Now if EMDR is taught by someone who is less than acceptable already, then what do you think the result of the next persons training would be? Less than accpetable. Unless you literally had a person who was taught directly from Dr. Shapiro the creator of EMDR, I would not touch it with anything more than one or two traumatic events that DO NOT span over a long period of time. If you got someone who was trained directly from Dr. Shapiro, then that could be a very different story, because the physician is getting first hand knowledge and training, not second, third or fourth hand... or worse!

I can't think of the EMDR sessions without getting sick. I think I have PTSD from the EMDR now. :loopy:

I don't even remember very well what exactly happened durring the sessions but I remember her saying something like, "and then what happened next?" over and ever... and the damn tapping... she was tapping my knees the whole time... tip tap tip tap tip tap... I wanted to tap her face after an hour of that!

After a few sessions she asked me how my flashbacks were and I said, "the same." Then she disagreed and said, "no, I think when you came to me at first they were a 10 and now they are a 7." I just looked at her like she was crazy. So now she had a meter connected to my brain and could tell me how extreme my flashbacks were.

Now I realize that once again I had found a know-it-all who didn't know PTSD from a hole in the ground. When I saw her the first time and explained my history and my current symptoms, she said, "oh, you'll be completely fine in 6 to 8 sessions." (8 was all my insurance was willing to pay 65% of)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back