Study America needs to protect the ones that protect us

B.Fish

New Here
The number of suicides taking place in our military is so alarming and never mentioned. We hear or know of the struggles our veterans face and it is all just brushed off with lack of resources that should never be an issue. There is no reason any vet should be homeless unless by there own choice and we should at the least fund housing on or near barracks for the ones that struggle. But I just seen this chart on our men and women in our military and wanted to share ,

Defense Casualty Analysis System

These are the active duty numbers. Food/Housing/Medical are all covered.

Prior Service Military / Veterans are wildly different numbers.

Just to start? Apx 642,000 US military veterans die each year, accounting for one in four deaths in the US…. Not apx 1,ooo - 2,ooo.

Similarly, over 6,000 of those deaths were by suicide in 2020 (16+ Per day, although many years that number is in the 20’s instead of the teens), as opposed to the apx 300 per year amongst active duty.

Don’t get me wrong, I completely agree with you that the way this country treats it’s vets is utterly shameful, it’s just the wrong series of stats, is all.

Last edited:
These are the active duty numbers. Food/Housing/Medical are all covered.

Prior Service Military / Veterans are wildly different numbers.

Just to start? Apx 642,000 US military veterans die each year, accounting for one in four deaths in the US…. Not apx 1,ooo - 2,ooo.

Similarly, over 6,000 of those deaths were by suicide in 2020 (16+ Per day, although many years that number is in the 20’s instead of the teens), as opposed to the apx 300 per year amongst active duty.

Don’t get me wrong, I completely agree with you that the way this country treats it’s vets is utterly shameful, it’s just the wrong series of stats, is all.

Guess I was not very clear or thought out. As I was aware the stats I posted were people currently serving and did make mention. But as I started the post I felt the need to also mention veterans. Could it be possible though that what takes place with many soldiers could be prevented with proper treatment, training, and recruitment policies? Not everyone has the correct mindset or is fully aware of what they may endure as a soldier. Some are not cut out for the tasks and might be best to weed them out to prevent what could manifest years later. This does not mean they should not be allowed to serve but find more suitable ways. The thing is even when the US has not declared war many soldiers still get dragged off to war too soon, to Young, and become forgotten. The transition needs to go both ways and neither joining or resigning takes enough time to see it is done with respect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back