• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other Animal Attack Trauma In Childhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaharaSon

MyPTSD Pro
One night, when I was three years old I was put to bed in my crib in my own separate room. I woke up screaming in the middle of the night as I was being mauled by a 15 to 20 pound Siamese cat named Fifi. She had apparently jumped down from the dresser into the crib and was clawing and biting me, ferociously. It took a little while before my parents responded. By that time I was a bloody mess. I do have occasional flashbacks and nightmares to this event. I also have a fear of big cats (panthers) to this day. Anyone else?

I was bit by a dog when I was a kid, and I'm afraid of dogs, have had dogs and wasn't afraid of them. No real solution here, I've tried exposure but it didn't solve it.

I'm not afraid of all dogs, nor am I afraid of specific breeds, just the suspicious eyes thing sets me back.

I love dogs though, even though I'm afraid.

I was bit by a dog when I was a kid, and I'm afraid of dogs, have had dogs and wasn't afraid of them. No real solution here, I've tried exposure but it didn't solve it.

I'm not afraid of all dogs, nor am I afraid of specific breeds, just the suspicious eyes thing sets me back.

I love dogs though, even though I'm afraid.
Sietz, I am a dog person, mainly. I think the key with dogs is to make sure they know, that they, and you, are in the same pack. I still love cats, but you have to work hard to keep that relationship on an even keel. They are much more intelligent than people give them credit for being. The big cats (panthers, lions and tigers) are scary animals, but I still love them. I don't know how humans establish safe relationships with the big cats. I have had panthers around my place and they put the fear of G-d in me. Ditto bears. Talk about an intelligent animal....

National Geographic usually has a lot of stuff on big cats. I follow some photographers that only take photos of big cats, so they learn how to behave around them. Maybe worth it to look into?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back