• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Atheist unite!!

Who's heard of the mass delusion that happened - maybe still happening - at the little Bible college in Kentucky?

You know what it reminds me of? The university gatherings in China during the Cultural Revolution, just with God instead of Mao. Both equally incorrect. Both equally dangerous. Both equally evil.

Asbury ended on - I believe the 23rd of Feb.- by the decision of the university because they had a prescheduled speaker coming. His name? Frances Chen. Even most Christians say he is a false teacher. If Asbury was a true revival, could God have simply been turned off on the 23rd? Did God need to book a flight to Kentucky to begin with? This is a controversial topic, especially among Christians. According to the Bible, God is not the author of confusion, Satan is. That says it all. Take a deep dive into this and you'll discover the "revival" was staged and who planned it. I shouldn't even be posting here.

Both equally incorrect. Both equally dangerous. Both equally evil.
naaah, I think its just a case of another hobby getting out of hand. If they arent hurting anyone who cares? Now, if they are driving like idiots trying to get there before it all winds down, well, there should be laws against that.
I saw mass assemblages that lasted weeks in my parents church, it was a way to meet girls that were far from home, I was 12, OK? Betcha the adults were driven by similar motives. These folks dont have trade conventions so cut them a brake, every body likes to mingle.

It seems like this thread has been dormant for awhile- sorry if I’m wrong in reinvigorating it. I just wanted to say that I’m of the mindframe that the law of gravity created the universe (like Stephen Hawking said) and that god is sorta like what Freud had to say about this subject, that it’s wish fulfillment. I’m looking for an earthy sugar daddy though lol not one who is frolicking around in the clouds above our heads lol!

Holiday season again. Hanukkah has come and gone with constant reminders of what Jewishness means, even in 2023: oppression. I hear it on the police scanner every night: people coming to the Jewish neighborhood in my city and screaming "Death to the Jews." However, I strongly suspect almost every Jewish person in this city is against the horrible things being done over there, and there is no conflict in this city between Jews and Muslims. The director of one of our art museums tried to stir up some shit by canceling an exhibit of Islamic art, claiming it would somehow hurt the Jews of our city, only to be strongly rebuked by every rabbi (and imam) in town - and the exhibit was rescheduled.

There is no contradiction in being an atheist and condemning religious prejudice. In fact, as unbelievers, we are the best situated to recognize it.

Speaking of apparent contradictions, I created a Christmas playlist on Youtube Music this year featuring all the old songs from my childhood (of which many, in turn, were also the old songs from my father's childhood). This way I don't have to lug around my laptop anymore for when I want to listen to Christmas music. The music was the soundtrack to many of my most memorable days as a child, and it's very important to me to share it with my kids. They don't have any idea what the songs are about, as far as I know; they just associate the music with this time of year.

Since this is the closest to a philosophy thread I will place my musing here…

Plato’s perfectionism was a bit overbearing. Wonder what a conversation between him and Foucault—(Mr. It Depends)—would be like. Maybe I will ask an AI to recreate that some day.

Mod Note:
@Rose White - you’re welcome to start a philosophy thread. This is not a ‘philosophy thread’, it’s specifically an atheism thread.

Refer back to the OP for guidance about what is relevant to this thread.

Off-topic discussions will result in thread-bans, same as anywhere else.

found myself sitting in a hospital, a place where science reigns supreme, listening to the pa system announce that it was time for us all to close our eyes and thank the magical thing high upon the place of omnipotent oversight.
It strikes me that everyone there in the hospital was there because of a misfortune of some kind and would hopefully be walking out because of the scientific processes that developed the means for their recoveries.
but hey, why not cover the odds and close your eyes and engage in the magical thinking? Whats it hurt?

found myself sitting in a hospital, a place where science reigns supreme, listening to the pa system announce that it was time for us all to close our eyes and thank the magical thing high upon the place of omnipotent oversight.
It strikes me that everyone there in the hospital was there because of a misfortune of some kind and would hopefully be walking out because of the scientific processes that developed the means for their recoveries.
but hey, why not cover the odds and close your eyes and engage in the magical thinking? Whats it hurt?
Gosh. What kind of hospital was it?! That would make me furious. How insensitive to assume everyone would want to hear and do that, when you're in a hospital and needing to deal with the stress of whatever you are there for. Don't need forced religion to deal with on top.

This is why hospitals have chaplains. If someone needs help praying, go find the chaplain. Don't force everyone to partake in the fantasy. Disgusting.

But this is the way we're heading.

Back