• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Canoe Trip Story-All Invited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nia was her usual, chatty self, interested in learning a bit more about Billie.

“Oh my, the eggs are delicious. Thank you! Seems like we are a creative bunch here.
I write stories for a living and this might make an excellent one! The Mystery of the Unknown Voice-now there’s a title!”

You know, I had a bad concussion in March and seem to be on the mend now and getting back to writing. Was hoping this trip would help jumpstart the creative process. Was a terrible accident....see my crooked nose?” My nose was jammed so far up in the soft tissue in my head, I looked like a pig in the moment! This nose is two surgeries later..... Nia chuckled At herself.

“I also write poetry when the occasion arises. You ever write poetry? This place calls for a poem!”

“I also love art-how about you? In the past 8 months or so, I’ve gotten away from sculpting -I left a duck and 3 ducklings at a friends house who has a kiln. Just can’t seem to finish it-but I’m hoping to start back at that in October.”

“Tell me about your creative aspirations, Billie” Nia asked eagerly........,,,,

Billie, Mizzy and I will be leaving this morning. We need to be moving on down the river. We are heading out shortly. I wish we had more time, but our ride is due to pick us up in a few days. We arrived a day late, then Angelo was sick, which further delayed everyone's trip. I've thoroughly enjoyed the time with you all, but since it is past 10:00am, and Angelo hasn't come to give me fishing lessons-which would have been a hoot, I think we'd better move on up river now. Here's my email address and phone number. When you finish your vacation, I'll be happy to send you and your parents photos of this part of the trip.....speaking of photos, I got a picture of a lady in a pink hat.....maybe she's the other voice. I wanted to tell Farine and Angelo, but you can tell them for me.......it was good meeting you and your parents......say Goodbye to everyone for us...

Nia walked away, looking back, and smiling at Billie. She really had enjoyed the wonders she had seen, but it was time to move on.......

Just a trickle. That’s all I could hear when I strained. But that trickle was hope. Water.

After sitting for what felt like forever waiting for someone of my group to come looking for me, I got fed up and started traipsing through the underbrush again. Sun had fallen fast and all that was left was morbid shadows and the songs of creatures nestling for the night. I considered stopping again and resting when darkness consumed every inch of sight. My feet hurt and my skin felt on fire from the bugs and who knows what plants. But I couldn’t. I had to get out of here, this forest was too dark, too calm, too quiet. So I pushed. The flashlight packed in my bag had just enough amber glow that I could avoid tripping on the larger tree roots. I pushed and pushed determined to at least go in a straight line hoping against hope I would come across a road or even better my group.

Then sun had finally crested bringing with it animals of every size and speed hunting for breakfast. I just hoped they continued to ignore me. It’s not that I don’t like animals, I do. I just don’t want to be their eggs and bacon. And out here in the forest where bears, wolves, mountain lions, and who knows what else lurked I would make a fine omelet. That thought quickened my steps. I need to get out, I hate this place. I shoved sharp branches aside and climbed the small hill that appeared.

That’s when I heard it. Water. Oh so glorious water. My lips were dry and parched. But more than that, water meant people. I remembered that from the survival class my dad made me take in 7th grade. Ever lost? Find water and follow it. There’s bound to be civilization along it somewhere.

With a renewed burst of energy I ignored the sharp slaps of the twigs on my bare legs and trudged on. I made it to the top of the small knoll and there just below me was a river! I’d found heaven. Thanking my lucky stars I searched a path that could lead me down. My throat was sore from lack of hydration and this was exactly what I needed.

Along the bank I saw some crumbling shale that looked like they could be promising steps down to the rocky beach. Gingerly I stepped onto each stone, only stumbling twice. Finally I made it to the beach of the riverbank. I tied my tank top into a knot at my side and crouched down to the pure nirvana flowing before me. Cupping my hands, I scooped delicious water and drank.

I drank my fill and plopped down to rummage through my pitiful bag. Opening it up, I tossed aside lip gloss, mascara, old receipts. I know Hannah made me pack granola bars. Where were they? Nothing but loose change and my wallet could be found. Shit. My stomach growled and I knew I had to get some calories in me soon. Sighing I stood up and decided to continue my lone trek staying along the river in hopes that somewhere soon I’d come across people and food and hotels and showers. Ugh what I wouldn’t give for a hot shower right now. I threw everything back into my bag and headed downstream.

Billie went down to the river to wash some pots and pans. She was scrubbing them good when she thought she heard footsteps behind her. She turned and saw a lady walking towards her.....

Squinting at the high sun I hastened my pace. My stomach started cramping at least half an hour ago. It can’t be much longer before I come across something anything.

The landscape was beautiful, there was no denying that. The river was wide and calm on the edges coating the rocky bottom in clear elixir. Tiny minnows dashed around enjoying the heat of the sun. The middle of the river sank deeper, too dark for me to see just how deep it went. I didn’t dare try crossing. I was a strong swimmer but rivers had undercurrents and I was already weak. Trees blocked the view from every angle. This river seemed to twist and turn through the forest making its own path, teasing with promise but unrelenting nonetheless.

Continuing on I kept my gaze ahead, determined to ignore any signs of large wildlife that could be stalking me at any moment. Up ahead a silver glint caught my eye. I thought I imagined it at first, when did mirages set in? But then I saw it again. Just a twinge of something metallic glittering in the sun. I wanted to run to whatever the source was but my body had already had enough. I was fit but not nearly equipped for long distance treks. I fished in my bag for a stray hair tie. My auburn hair had gained significant length in the last year, I loved it but right now is more of a hindrance. The thick length had plastered itself to my skin where a coat of sweat had gathered. It wasn’t too hot up here, 70’s or 80’s at most. But I was used to sweet sweet air conditioning.

With my hair successfully pulled back in a long braid I hurried to the shimmering beacon. Coming around a small bend in the river, I spotted the source. My heart leapt with joy as I took in the sight before me. A young woman stood at the river bank rinsing off some dishes. Up the bank a bit further were more people and canoes and tents!

I rushed over to the girl, “Hi, I’m Emma, can you help me? I was hiking with my friends and got separated and now I can’t seem to find them. Do you have any water? Or perhaps a granola bar? Do you happen to know where the closest town might be? Or how to get there?” Questions upon questions tumbled out before I could stop them. The relief was so palpable. I wasn’t alone anymore.

Squinting at the high sun I hastened my pace. My stomach started cramping at least half an hour ago. It can’t be much longer before I come across something anything.

The landscape was beautiful, there was no denying that. The river was wide and calm on the edges coating the rocky bottom in clear elixir. Tiny minnows dashed around enjoying the heat of the sun. The middle of the river sank deeper, too dark for me to see just how deep it went. I didn’t dare try crossing. I was a strong swimmer but rivers had undercurrents and I was already weak. Trees blocked the view from every angle. This river seemed to twist and turn through the forest making its own path, teasing with promise but unrelenting nonetheless.

Continuing on I kept my gaze ahead, determined to ignore any signs of large wildlife that could be stalking me at any moment. Up ahead a silver glint caught my eye. I thought I imagined it at first, when did mirages set in? But then I saw it again. Just a twinge of something metallic glittering in the sun. I wanted to run to whatever the source was but my body had already had enough. I was fit but not nearly equipped for long distance treks. I fished in my bag for a stray hair tie. My auburn hair had gained significant length in the last year, I loved it but right now is more of a hindrance. The thick length had plastered itself to my skin where a coat of sweat had gathered. It wasn’t too hot up here, 70’s or 80’s at most. But I was used to sweet sweet air conditioning.

With my hair successfully pulled back in a long braid I hurried to the shimmering beacon. Coming around a small bend in the river, I spotted the source. My heart leapt with joy as I took in the sight before me. A young woman stood at the river bank rinsing off some dishes. Up the bank a bit further were more people and canoes and tents!

I rushed over to the girl, “Hi, I’m Emma, can you help me? I was hiking with my friends and got separated and now I can’t seem to find them. Do you have any water? Or perhaps a granola bar? Do you happen to know where the closest town might be? Or how to get there?” Questions upon questions tumbled out before I could stop them. The relief was so palpable. I wasn’t alone anymore.
Glad to meet you, Emma. I can't answer all your questions, but we do have food and water for you. Let's walk up the river bank to the campsite I'm staying at. My name's Billie, by the way. They walked up the river bank together. We keep our leftover foods in the lake over there. Would you like a hotdog? They are probably still warm from lunch. There's some mustard in this cooler here....

Billie, Mizzy and I will be leaving this morning. We need to be moving on down the river. We are heading out shortly. I wish we had more time, but our ride is due to pick us up in a few days. We arrived a day late, then Angelo was sick, which further delayed everyone's trip. I've thoroughly enjoyed the time with you all, but since it is past 10:00am, and Angelo hasn't come to give me fishing lessons-which would have been a hoot, I think we'd better move on up river now. Here's my email address and phone number. When you finish your vacation, I'll be happy to send you and your parents photos of this part of the trip.....speaking of photos, I got a picture of a lady in a pink hat.....maybe she's the other voice. I wanted to tell Farine and Angelo, but you can tell them for me.......it was good meeting you and your parents......say Goodbye to everyone for us...

Nia walked away, looking back, and smiling at Billie. She really had enjoyed the wonders she had seen, but it was time to move on.......
(Sorry I wasn't around much yesterday, still been sick on and off @TruthSeeker )

Bill said some momentary goodbyes. He felt it was his duty to find a place to buy some supplies. He'd looked all around the campsite and noticed a small trail going off toward the road they had parked off of. ... Finally he spotted a general store. It was open too! He noticed the rocking chairs out in front and promised himself he would rest before returning. He'd brought his back pack, so he would be able to bring back all kinds of goodies. Emma looked as if she could use some hefty food. Snacks would be great too. Thankfully they had a water purifier. Once he'd made a good purchase, he rested in one of the rocking chairs.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back