• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Do you have physical symptoms when you dissociate?

• Thread starter Deleted member 47099
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47099

I'm confused as to whether I get physical symptoms when I dissociate.

I know that I dissociate my body away a lot.

And I think that when I do that, maybe I stop breathing/ breathe very shallowly which makes me feel faint and dizzy and I think I clench my stomach really tight which makes me nauseous.

I think those physical symptoms also make me feel panicky, which makes me dissociate even more.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I'm confused as to what role my body plays during dissociation and whether I react automatically in certain ways that create these strong physical symptoms in addition to the emotional/ psychological stuff.

In a way dissociation *itself* is a physical symptom.

And an answer, yes.
Quite a few sets of them / clusters, which is useful for me and people caring for me to point out what is going on at the time, in case I either don't know or don't care and really should.

Thanks @Ronin :)

Quite a few sets of them / clusters, which is useful for me and people caring for me to point out what is going on
Are there any examples you feel okay about mentioning? If not, that's completely fine.

I'm just truly confused/ curious how the body relates to dissociation.

I've tried googling "physical symptoms of dissociation" but don't find any useful results.

Things I meant weren't symptoms like anxiety / depression / situational awareness changes, which I take fairly fair game and daily life with this disorder - more my body acting out pieces of trauma again, without new physical injuries?

Like burn marks, cuts & scrapes, bruises & carve symbols & similar shenanigans appearing without myself hitting myself a new and just not knowing about it, and things like that.

Injuries I didn't have physical explanation for, weren't new, didn't stick around as proper physical injuries do nor require similar healing time - but were entirely types of trauma I lived and repressed or semi repressed in some fashion.

So yep - wouldn't discount automatic reactions and more or less unconscious behavior - as well as the fact trauma influences people on many levels, and not all may appear logical - but they ultimately *are*, all of them - if you find the thread that connects them and causes these changes to happen.

I can relate to the shallow breathing, at times my eyes start closing like I'm falling asleep. I also get numbness, tickling, lack of sensation and pain. I can also feel nauseous.

The shallow breathing I would guess is a way of slowing your system down so you can't be heard/seen so you are less likely to be hurt. In the same way that animals play dead or freeze to avoid predators. I think it's a kind of feedback loop, I feel threatened my body is responding, my body is responding so I must be threatened kind of thing.

I'm confused as to whether I get physical symptoms when I dissociate.

I know that I dissociate my body away a lot.

And I think that when I do that, maybe I stop breathing/ breathe very shallowly which makes me feel faint and dizzy and I think I clench my stomach really tight which makes me nauseous.

I think those physical symptoms also make me feel panicky, which makes me dissociate even more.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I'm confused as to what role my body plays during dissociation and whether I react automatically in certain ways that create these strong physical symptoms in addition to the emotional/ psychological stuff.

I would suggest reading "The body keeps the score".

Dissociation brings many physical symptoms and it is actually quite common for this to happen. Dissociation either reduces or augments the flow to different brain regions, which means that we experiment physical symptoms, since our brain controls everything.

My breathing becomes more shallow, I feel faint and dizzy, I get headaches, I either have a hard time talking or can't at all, I have difficulty to swallow, I freeze and can't move, I feel cold or get hot flashes, I feel numb and disconnected from my body, hearing and thinking may become impaired...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back