EMDR side effects?

lisa67

New Here
I'm on my 6th session of EMDR for CPTSD. I wish I'd never started tbh. I feel so much worse. I couldn't find anything much on Google about side effects so I thought I'd be ok. I have become so much more emotionally disregulated, I feel physically cold and very sleepy during and after a session and I feel so depressed about everything which is not how I was before I started. I wake up in the night now with terrible night sweats and I spend my waking hours thinking about worse case scenarios of situations that could happen in my life and the horrible thing is my body experiences it as if it's happening. I feel like I've lost myself and I can't get back to how I was before therapy. I'm lost.

I will have to talk to my t about knowing when the reprocessing is done and how to manage it more effectively.
I will say it is the single hardest thing to figure out in some ways. One of the signs is when the fog lifts......brain fog, that is. The other is that the "window of tolerance" opens and you can do more or tolerate more stress in a day.

I find it nice to take a couple weeks break and do stuff before diving back in.

Interesting. Mine has been flooding with trigger in every arena and just about everyday for 4 years with no safe space and threatened at the place of coping. It has been terrorizing and I didn't sign up for any of it. It is the original abuse and more. It isn't funny. I wouldn't tell a soul if I were ready to jump. Not at this point. I'm not allowed to even say a bad word about the man who sexually assaulted me. I get immediate retaliation. I'm so done with all of it. Never tell anyone what stirs you. In my case they did it more and asked, " how do you handle frustration". I endured a sociopath, a psychological manipulator,abortion, sexual assault an attempt, moved 8 times, told I was the crazy one that hurt people, was hacked and obviously stalked, had someone in my home when I wasn't. It is all very real with even third parties backing me...alarm co, etc. And I get buried in trigger and taunt for 4 freaking years. It is abuse. ABUSE.
Are you saying your a victim of 'gang stalking'?. Im confused

The other is that the "window of tolerance" opens and you can do more or tolerate more stress in a day.
To further clarify - reprocessing can go from more to less to more day to day or even hour to hour. Depends how far back your trauma is. Sometimes its working on a bunch of memories or sometimes speeding through where there is very little to change. It's why you need to be flexible with planning when you are doing reprocessing. That happy fog free morning? Can change pretty quickly. Sometimes I go out with someone and it's always with the understanding when I say it's enough. It's enough.

It's also why you want to wait a week or two or three when a job finishes - it gives you a break to take a breath and do things that you are avoiding doing when you are really busy with reprocessing. I find it refreshing because I can go and do and feel better and understand I really am healing.

I'm on my 6th session of EMDR for CPTSD. I wish I'd never started tbh. I feel so much worse. I couldn't find anything much on Google about side effects so I thought I'd be ok. I have become so much more emotionally disregulated, I feel physically cold and very sleepy during and after a session and I feel so depressed about everything which is not how I was before I started. I wake up in the night now with terrible night sweats and I spend my waking hours thinking about worse case scenarios of situations that could happen in my life and the horrible thing is my body experiences it as if it's happening. I feel like I've lost myself and I can't get back to how I was before therapy. I'm lost.
Hey,
Late to this post but hoping to help someone who is reading this looking for advice. I've just started to feel better after about 6 months of EMDR. It can get better! But agree with many others here that I found it really triggering to begin with. One thing that helped was spacing out my appointments to bi-weekly not weekly. Self care, as always. Being compassionate towards myself (like you would if you had the flu). Leaving voice notes with trusted friends. I had a great T, too, I trusted her. Summer was dreadful, I nearly lost my job because I was so enraged and confused. I lost a lot of weight. But just these last two weeks I've started to feel just a bit more like me, like I remember feeling. And it is so welcome I could cry. Keep at it xxx

Back