• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Has anyone tried Rexulti as a treatment for severe dissociative symptoms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

that_1_girl

Confident
Hey so my Psych NP put me on Rexulti 1mg because she said if I go to shepherd Pratt as is I will be too dissociative to participate and get the most out of it. She said I’m not psychotic even though it’s an antipsychotic. She said it’s also an antidepressant.
I have a chosen family and my “safe” dad went with me to the appointment and helped me talk to her because I was in a severe DP/DR/dissociative episode and didn’t feel real. I remember telling her this is why I sought meds to begin with 14 years ago because I had never heard of dissociation and honestly thought I was losing my mind.
According to him when I asked him later that’s what she said.

I haven't tried rexulti specifically, but it's an atypical antipsychotic and you'll probably find a lot of folks here on one of those to help with their symptoms.

I've been using quetiapine (seroquel), a different atypical antipsychotic to help manage my dissociation for years. Never been psychotic, and that's pretty common now.

I've been using quetiapine (seroquel), a different atypical antipsychotic to help manage my dissociation for years. Never been psychotic, and that's pretty common now.
I actually also take 100mg of Seroquel purely because it is the only thing that allows me to go back to sleep after nightmares. Nothing else works because of my ADHD. My NP didn’t increase the quetiapine I guess because when I was on more I slept 18-20 hours a day. I have a very longstanding misdiagnosis of being a “hopeless” (yes, they told me that to my face in my 20’s) paranoid schizophrenia case. None of the antipsychotics helped my “psychotic symptoms” because I was actually experiencing severe DP/DR with OSDD-1b type parts but those diagnoses weren’t around yet when I was 23 and convinced I was “watching myself lose my mind”. Enter textbook DP type dissociation of being trapped behind an invisible glass wall and unable to control what your body is doing or saying, mixed with OSDD-1b type parts, because some other version of you had taken over and you remember the entire thing. Yeah 14 years ago I was convinced beyond all doubt that I was psychotic. I actually remember having an existential crisis where I went down the “can you be diagnosed clinically delusional for *mistakenly* believing you’re delusional?” rabbit hole and wound up more confused than I’ve ever been in my life. (Add one week of *actual* psychosis + extra severe dissociative symptoms due to mixing my prescribed Abilify, way too many beers for my BMI, and several bong hits, and waking up the next morning convinced the sky was sending me messages, and there you have it. Scariest week of my life!) So yeah, I have only been psychotic briefly due to that bad drug experience, which is why THAT experience in 2008 was the last time I was ever drunk or high. But in terms of antipsychotics I am still on Trilafon (I’m going completely off it and have already gotten halfway off it with professional help), Seroquel for sleep, and now Rexulti (which I’m not sure I like at all), as well as a bunch of other meds for other things. I truly hope my brain chemistry isn’t permanently messed up from 14 years of aggressive overmedication. 🤯

Yeah, I got up to 1.2g of seroquel a day (+prn) when I was really sick. I was having to take dexamphetamine to counteract the sleepiness because I was a complete zombie.

These days I only use instant when I'm having bad dissociative episodes and can afford to be drowsy. Because I find that the hit does help with my dissociation (I have DID, but often will have derealisation episodes and just plain old Distressed Space Cadet episodes), but the side effects are ro

I've switched my daily dose to the XR (extended release) form so that I can take 300mg a day with minimal side effects.

On the up side, if you trial this med and the side effects don't work out, but it helps reduce your dissociation, then probably other types of atypical antipsychotics will also help, so you may have a bit of flexibility if the side effects are rough.

On the up side, if you trial this med and the side effects don't work out, but it helps reduce your dissociation, then probably other types of atypical antipsychotics will also help, so you may have a bit of flexibility if the side effects are rough.
With the Rexulti last night I went to bed feeling drunker than a skunk even though I haven’t had a drink in many years. I think I woke up at least 6 times last night, and every time I was really *really* angry for some unknown reason, I had been dreaming about enragedly screaming “I hate you!” at people I love more than anyone. The people who save my life every day, my chosen “safe” mom and my beautiful 5 year old nephew. I am not mad at either of them at all. Have you ever heard of waking up literally seething as a side effect of atypicals or alternatively as a post traumatic response? I took the Rexulti for the second time about an hour ago and I feel completely normal for this time of night, no anger or drunk feeling.

Vivid dreaming was not on the list.

I was prescribed Rexulti but after reading the warnings for hypo-tension I skipped it. I already have a chronic hypo-tension already. The only sleep effect I saw was somnolence.

With the Rexulti last night I went to bed feeling drunker than a skunk even though I haven’t had a drink in many years. I think I woke up at least 6 times last night, and every time I was really *really* angry for some unknown reason, I had been dreaming about enragedly screaming “I hate you!” at people I love more than anyone. The people who save my life every day, my chosen “safe” mom and my beautiful 5 year old nephew. I am not mad at either of them at all. Have you ever heard of waking up literally seething as a side effect of atypicals or alternatively as a post traumatic response? I took the Rexulti for the second time about an hour ago and I feel completely normal for this time of night, no anger or drunk feeling.

Only second pill of .25 mg and I want to fling things out he window. They are not listening to me. Most drugs make me more hyper than I am...just fed \up. 20 years of this. Old tricyclics work...but no the new kids onthe block want to use SSRI's So...weaning off and what will be will be as I'd rather be in a dull mood then wanting to fling a chair out the window...(what year is this thread? LOL am I talking to outer space...oh sometimes that's all we need....a f'n good vent , bowing out now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back