• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other How did you mentally prepare for the Covid Shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope it goes well @Recovery4Me. I have had both my shots. The first came with side affects all much better than covid would have been - in fact - I found them almost a relief - I have Fatigue issues - and the sleepiness that came after the shot let me really sleep and after a couple of days it felt alleviated by sleep - a glorious feeling not often attained for me! Also a lot - most - of my fibro pain was gone during that time - so it was almost like a lazy beach holiday.

I’m lucky in that I have no fear of medical procedures but the injection hurts no more than an insect bite or sting- less than a bee sting for example because it’s over very quickly .

my husband had no lasting sore lump in his arm - I did the first time- for about eight weeks? But it felt just like a little bruise . Nothing bad at all. I’m saying the bad stuff - like the arm- too - because honesty helps me feel confident about a situation.

I was part of the national statistics survey gathering blood tests to check spread of the virus and seeing the first test result after my first vaccination come back with antibodies in it was incredibly good feeling.

I'm having my second shot today in a few hours. Not really thinking anything of it. It's over in a few seconds. Had a fever for two nights after the first one. Hopefully no reactions this time.

Sorry I didn't answer your question only shared what happened. I didn't have to prepare for the shot. I have no issues with needles. I did have to prepare for standing in line and being around hundreds of people after over a year of lock down.

But the shot? No issues.

Unfortunately, needles (for me) are wrapped deep in some serious memory triggering casualties and situational trauma. So if I don’t have an full jacket flashback, defensive posturing with violent maneuvers or pass out during my blood work and my Covid Shot …my T and I will be proud. Please know it’s all good as each of us has situations that brought us the PTSD visitor. 🤗 This is just part of mine.
Yeah, I get it. I couldn't complete another medical appointment recently because it took me to another place in my mind.
What helped me with that was: a lovely person on this forum reminded me I could say: stop. Which I did.
And then I have now booked that medical procedure in a few months time with a service that is for survivors of sexual violence. So they are already informed and communicate properly.
Is there a way of getting it done (if you decide to do it) by someone who knows you? Can talk you through it? Or come up with a plan together about how to make it as safe as possible for you?

I did have to prepare for standing in line and being around hundreds of people after over a year of lock down.

You know, I am glad you answered a second time, so that I could actually thank you for the first as well. I apologize because somehow I lost your quote (honestly probably the meds lol) and felt that is no way for me to show gratitude. Answers are valuable tools for me. So much appreciated. 100’s of people…you are extremely together: especially after lock down. We are still in it here for a bit.

I was part of the national statistics survey gathering blood tests to check spread of the virus and seeing the first test result after my first vaccination come back with antibodies in it was incredibly good feeling.

Wow! That ^ such civic duty and sacrifice to advance the good fight! I am so glad you shared with me/us this part of you. Thank you for being you.

I'm having my second shot today in a few hours.

Sending good Luv and light your way : let us know please how you fair.

What helped me with that was: a lovely person on this forum reminded me I could say: stop. Which I did.

Excellent strategy. I actually say it out loud during my rumination (which places me in the crazy ole’ woman whom talks to herself category 😜. I normally explain to the tech that I am closing my eyes and to walk me through it verbally moving slow. Thank you for your share as well as suggestions.

I had no preparation, just was grateful and hoped it would reduce my chance of giving it to someone or family (high risk) and killing them. I expected virtually no side effects but ended up about a 6/10 on the first and very difficult (though bizarre) on the 2nd. Which I just assumed would eventually pass. I don't think my kidneys are too grand shape though. Very painless, worse mosquito bites (esp out here!).

PS, not sure if you had it yet but at least out here they ended up getting 6 (instead of 5) Phizer and Moderna doses out of one vial, so they used a finer needle.

Also grateful they even found a vaccine; historically it has taken 5/ 20 years, and in some cases there is nothing much to offer. Miraculous, to me. As an aside, they said with Smallpox and Polio the same pro/anti debates occurred.

Last edited:
I listened to your post: it is time to move forward on the shot. I am having my Son take me in a few weeks as I don’t drive, he has his shot and sometimes I just feel more courage when I am suppose to be the brave Mom. Funny isn’t it, how love ones can bring out the best in us?

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Just got my second jab yesterday. Went to a public health clinic and the head nurse really went out of her way to make it easy. Since manual strangulation was part of my trauma, wearing masks is hell, and she accounted for that too. Very pleasant experience yesterday.

Today not so much but I can't say it was unexpected.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back