• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

How do you like your coffee best? or do you prefer tea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How to make turkish coffee:

First you will need a turkish coffee pot, called a cezve or ibrik, and finely powdered turkish coffee. Espresso is not the same thing. Never try to make turkish coffee with espresso or put turkish coffee into an espresso machine. The end result will be kind of terrifying. You'll also want some small demitasse cups to serve it in. If you have a middle eastern market nearby you should be able to find everything there. Otherwise, Amazon sells all.

Mix six level teaspoons of coffee powder, six teaspoons of sugar, and a teaspoon of powdered ginger in the pot with one cup of water. Some people like to heat the water to dissolve the sugar first then add the other ingredients, but that's not really necessary. Without setting the heat too high, bring it up to a simmer. The coffee should start to foam up. Let the foam rise to the rim of the pot then pull it off the heat. This can happen pretty quickly so you will want to watch it closely so it doesn't boil over. Once the foam settles, put the pot back on the burner and let it foam again then pull it. Repeat that last step so it has foamed a total of three times. Spoon a little bit of the foam into the cups then pour the coffee before the grounds have a chance to settle out.

If the coffee is too strong or too sweet you can experiment with the quantity of coffee powder or sugar to suit your taste. Or you can play with the spicing. I like the ginger because it helps keep the strong coffee from upsetting my stomach, but some people prefer no spice. Or you could try cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and/or a few drops of rose water. If you want to get really crazy you could try fumigating the cups with mastic smoke, or if you're really rich and you have a black market supplier you could perfume it with ambergris.

When you get to the bottom of the cup, don't drink the grounds. Tip the cup upside down onto the saucer and let it sit for a few minutes. Then you can read your fortune in the coffee grounds, kind of like reading tea leaves.

@Angrboda many, many years ago a friend of mine and I went to a turkish restaurant (for the first time). We have a lovely meal and then we were offered some Turkish coffee. Well we thought that was just fabulous so we agreed. It was so delish., that we ordered a second and a couple more after that.

Being young, western and unfamiliar with the little cups and all, we swished the grounds around and drank the lot!

Needless to say about 7 hours later. I was laying in bed with my eyes WIDE OPEN and any thought of sleep was just irrational. I wandered off to my friends room to see if she was having a problem sleeping and she was WIDE AWAKE too.

It seems we had OD on Turkish coffee. It took about 12 hours before we came down off our Turkish coffee high. Terribly funny at the time bc we were young and bounced back fine. A few months later we went back for more food and the waiter explained that it isn't appropriate to drink the grounds of the coffee or have so many cups of it. (He remembered us) Still laughing! So are we!!

That's hilarious. Once, I drank an entire pot of the stuff then poured the sludge from the bottom of the pot over vanilla ice cream and ate it. It was delicious, but I was shaking and sweating and bouncing off the walls until about six in the morning. It's really kind of like crack in the guise of coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back