• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

I Have An Appointment To See A Psychiatrist, Any Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for what your Psychiatrist told you. I never knew that in order to have a diagnosis of PTSD that one had to actually "feel traumatized" by the traumatic event.

I, too, never 'felt traumatized' by what happened to me. It was 30 years later that I was told that this was a traumatic event in my life which started my PTSD. To me, then and now, it's a part of my life. Granted I've learned a new way to deal with it other than ignoring or sublimating it. But until someone put the label of 'trauma' on it, I never would have thought, 'OMG...I've been traumatized!'.

Odd question-IMO.

Lisa

I'm not sure why he put his question like that. But he has not made a final summation yet, and perhaps there were others things I said, did or didn't say or did that makes him think it's not PTSD? Or at least it appears not a very clear cut case.

I mean I just don't know. I related to alot on here, but perhaps I was just relating to the nature of traumatic events and anxiety & depression. Perhaps I don't have it at all - which would be a positive as there is hope for being cured. But it's bugging me because a part of me really thinks there is something else going on here other then just anxiety and/or depression. But perhaps that very thought is a symptom of anxiety.

Perhaps I've been keen for a label, and PTSD fitted the best. Perhaps I figured if I got a label, I'd get treatment plan and some hope for feeling better.

Or then again maybe he will decide it's PTSD but needs more then one session to decide. He said he was going to speak with my T and is seeing me again in a couple of weeks. I'd just like an answer as to why for 3 years I've had major depressive episodes, chronic anxiety with irritability/anger and an inability to function like I used to. Is there an underlying condition/disorder? Or is it something inate in my personality that is preventing me from moving forward? Or is it that I've had a number of stressful events in 3 years and my brain just needs more time to process and assimilate these events?

That is what I want to know, yet so far no one seems to know. It seems its all theory. A GP will say PTSD, another GP will suggest Bipolar, another will say it's the number of events in a short time. But in the end I'm starting to think they have no further clue then I do.

It's not like you can have a blood test and they tell you what the problem is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back