• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

General Is PTSD Permanent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think of it this way. PTSD will always be with you. However, with proper treatment, support, and a lot of work, it can go into remission for long periods of time. Perhaps forever. I wouldn't say that it can be "cured" so much as it can be managed. I'm not a doctor and I don't pretend to be one in bars, so that is my non-medical opinion. I may go for weeks or a month and feel almost normal. Then I hear, see, or smell something and it brings some traumatic event back to the front of my mind. It is a cycle. But over time those "normal" weeks last for longer and the bad times get shorter.

I am only recently being treated for PTSD, for years my symptoms were ignored by therapists, so I have made very little progress. I feel like I am permanently changed and I would do anything to be back to my old self. I have not has a flashback in quite a long time but I suffer horrible nightmares that can not be stopped. I hope someone findsa cure someday.

I said this time and time again. "It's not something you catch, it's something you earn with a good conscience." The hardest part is forgiving (myself) and no longer live life solely for myself. You catch yourself thinking of the others feeling before yourself. Honestly, it's a gift to make the world a better place.

I was just posting in another thread that things are better for my wife.

Yes permanent. But it can be managed. In our case, weekly Therapist appointments, continued medications.

Back to that medical analogy mentioned before. Like a diabetic, sometimes it is hard getting through the acute phase. Hospitalizations or comorbidities popping up. But then hopefully on to chronic management and hitting a place that is better on a day to day basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back