• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Just looking for some advice - being constantly triggered in relationship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romegan

New Here
Hey everyone. Basically looking for some advice. From age 17-22 I was in a very bad relationship and abused & raped. I saw a counselor twice & was told I have PTSD. I can't afford to go back as I have a five year old son and no job at the moment mainly due to extreme anxiety. Vicious cycle. Anyway, I thought I'd made a lot of progress until I got into a relationship and now I'm being constantly triggered. I have no idea what to do with these triggers, how to cope at all really. I am terrible at communicating with him & get badly triggered when we argue and either get dramatically upset or angry and aggressive. If he shouts I get scared and defensive. I've been causing most of the arguments also. I am finding it so hard & have no idea how to deal with this and it feels like I'm never going to feel better.

Hi and welcome. Here are a few questions for you:
is there any charity options open to you for therapy
What knpwedge of PTSD do you have.
Do you have skills to deal with overwhelm, triggered states, grounding etc.
Do you have an understanding of your triggers and the areas that you are vulnerable to tressor experiences.
Does he understand the situation and the why and the when,

Hello!
Even though we have different stories, I have the exact same problem in my relationship. I get triggered all the time, cannot cope because I get overwhelmed by my fear, my anger, my sadness. I also often start the conflicts because I am triggered and then my boyfriend doesn't have a clue why I am suddenly feeling the way I feel.
I am trying to train myself in mindfulness (e.g. with meditation). I think it can really help with these extreme reactions. It can help with staying more calm so we are not immediately falling victim to our symptoms. I can say that the little I have done yet has helped me already.
I am sure we can learn how to cope. It will just take some time.

Hi and welcome. Here are a few questions for you:
is there any charity options open to you for therapy...
Hi, thanks for your response. All I know of PTSD is my research online. I know some of my triggers, the obvious ones like confrontation & watching violence on the TV. Im not really sure how to cope with them, I try taking deep breaths or leaving the situation if possible and trying to cool down. There's no charity available where I live.
Im learning more and more about my triggers every day, it seems every day I find a new one. Certain songs, etc. My ex and I have a child together and I have to see him once a week so that's certainly not helping, obviously seeing him is the biggest trigger of all.

Hello!
Even though we have different stories, I have the exact same problem in my relationship. I get trig...
I think I will try to make the time to meditate. I tried in the past but never stuck with it. I do feel so bad because I make my boyfriends life hell sometimes and he hasn't done anything so bad to deserve it

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back