• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Research Nerve Block As Treatment For Ptsd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am interested in the stellate ganglion block, where can I find more information on the side affects? How might I approach my wife about this who is the one who has CPTSD?

Has anyone had any success in treating PTSD with the stellate ganglion nerve block? Just curious![/QUOT...
I just had it done on Dec 15, 2017. I think it's worth it. The only pain was a slight sting when they inserted the IV needle. Was all done and out within 3 hours. You will need a second person along to get you in and back home. The effects felt subtle at first, but very real. I did have a boomarang effect the next day, but after a good night's sleep, I'm back on track. I'm 63 years old and have had PTSD since childhood, so I'm thrilled that anything could help. I can now recall trauma events and feel like I'm watching them on TV instead of living them. But just so you know, I am cognisantly aware that I need to retrain my brain so when I start to get stuck in the replay loop of my memories, I tell myself that it's time to think of something else, and now, because of the nerve block, I can do that.
I also have more control now when new stress occurs, and I get over it right after the event passes instead of staying upset for 3 days. I sleep better, something that in itself is a big deal and is helping me to control my PTSD symptoms. Before this, my physical senses were on high alert all the time, but my hearing is reduced enough that I can tolerate short spurts of loud sounds, and my sensitivity to smells is reduced by about 20%, and getting better.
Dr. Lipov of Chicago did the procedure and I'd highly recommend him.

< mod edit to remove phone number, please use PM to share contact info >

Greg, the research assistant for this procedure, is one of the nicest human beings I've ever met. Oh, and we stayed at the Whitehall Hotel, located across the street from the surgery center. Nice place, great rates, and over-the-top staff. This area is walking distance to Chicago's Miracle Mile, so if you like shopping, bring some change along and treat yourself the night before. Good luck and let us know what happens if you decide to do it. ~Victory

Last edited by a moderator:
May I ask you what the cost is for the treatment by Dr. Lipov? Sounds very promising.

Best to call them and ask. His rate went up on January 1st. You pay him separate from the surgery center and anesthesiologist. Insurance will not cover because it's an off label treatment. I can't post his number here so do a Google of Dr. Eugene Lipov, Chicago, IL.

Hello, I recently completed my stellate ganglion block. Since it was done very recently, I can only give my very limited experience, but it began working right away in interrupting the fight-or-flight response. Since it was done so recently, I won't give any conclusions yet. But in this short time frame, it is definitely working.

As an example, I was crossing the street and an aggressive driver turned into me. Normally I would have startled and my body would have been flooded with stress hormones. Instead, I had a brief moment of fright before the driver stopped, but I didn't startle and the stress hormones never actually hit my body, but got "dammed up" somewhere.

Please note that this is a different block than the sphenopalatine ganglion block, done through the nose. Although I did hear about the sphenopalatine ganglion block, and it is cheaper and less invasive, I decided not to do it because I did not feel there was enough evidence with regard to its efficacy for PTSD or hyperarousal. My stellate ganglion block was performed under IV sedation and I remember nothing about it.

I'll make another update when more time has passed.
How are you now? I’m currently considering the procedure. Thank you

I was the one who posted about the procedure last year. I do believe that it changed my life. As I understand it significantly decreases the level of norepinephrine produced, so even if there are still bad memories in your brain, it doesn't affect your body. I don't have startle reflex anymore. That's one way I know it works. My insomnia is drastically reduced and stress affects me now pretty similar to the time before I had PTSD.

I got my first treatment done with Dr. Lipov in Chicago, who originated its use for PTSD and has the most resources dedicated to it. The price at the time was $1,500. Since that time they raised the price to $2,000 and I think they moved the location to an expensive part of downtown Chicago. I decided to have a follow up treatment six months later (the first treatment was still working but I thought the effectiveness had decreased by around 20%). I found another anesthesiologist closer to home who did the procedure for $1,500 and was also willing to evaluate me for free. A good place to inquire in the US are the "price transparency" outpatient surgery centers that publish their prices online. It's an experimental treatment so insurance won't cover it. I'm not sure whether veterans can get free treatment through the VA or not. I haven't needed any follow ups since then. I'm not in therapy anymore so I actually saved money over the long run.

As for side effects, I didn't experience any. The procedure has been done for a long time for a couple of pain disorders so there is plenty of data on side effects. As for discomfort during the procedure, when I went to Dr. Lipov they wiped my memory so all I remember was the initial "feeling good" from the drugs and next thing I knew I was in the recovery room. The second time I did it they didn't wipe my memory so having the needle in my neck felt like having a sore throat. They did give me some sedation and pain drugs the second time. Not sure how much it will hurt with no sedation or pain drugs at all but some people do it that way. Oh, also, when I did it with Lipov they required me to have someone stay with me for 24 hours (those were the rules of the surgery center they use) but the second one I used only required me to have someone drive me back to the hotel. Then I immediately went sightseeing.

It's been several months since my block. I feel the effectiveness has decreased a little from when I first got it but I still feel really good and don't use meds anymore. It's so much easier to concentrate and get stuff done without the misery of hyperarousal. Everything in life just becomes easier. I still do sometimes get flashbacks but I've been in therapy for a long time and I do feel some physical anxiety when that happens but it's not too bad, pretty mild compared to what it was before.
FYI. Could you tell me how your procedure is holding up and if you are considering having another? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back