• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sufferer New Here-i Am Quitting Therapy And Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marken,

I don't think you overreacted much, if at all. I'd feel the same. But there is something more going on here. You don't have all the information. It's not likely personal. He could be going through something, too.

The kind of responses you said he gave you in the past don't seem very insightful to me either. I don't think this is a person who will be in this business much longer.

They sound like the kind of message you put on your email when you are gone. Checked out.

Therapy is a high burnout job. I have always been told that psychiatrists will have to build a client base when they start, so they have to do good talk therapy. That done, they decide to farm you out to Ph.D.'s or Master's degrees and just focus on Diagnosis (Dx) and med management (Rx) calling their role "case management."

From what you have described, I assume your T has been advised to start moving toward putting himself out to pasture like the mature therapist and just focusing on case management. He sounds like he's burned out or going through his own problems.

However, he is not doing it right. He has not guided you toward someone who is a better talk therapist, nor has he informed you of his intentions other then to stop helping you. His timing SUCKS, too. In a total jerk kind of way, proving that he's not there when you need him, which is EVERYTHING, let's face it. ;)

From your messages, I doubt anyone would want to stop caring about you, more that they just don't have it in them anymore. Which is sad. I feel sort of sorry for him, but more for you. I identify with your feelings. I'd be pretty angry and hurt.

I'd give you time to grieve that this guy has disappointed you and isn't a good fit for your needs right now.

After you move on, realize that you most likely deserve or need better than him and gift yourself the best you can find. :)

Take care! Welcome!

Hi Muse,
Thanks so much for your thoughtful post:)

Yes, I think that the timing of this really left something to be desired. I mean, I had a substantial breakdown in his office in March. If he really has limited availability all of a sudden, then at least help me with options. Also, these visits from the past 3 years were not covered by insurance. I paid completely out of pocket. He did help me a bit with a sliding scale, but it has been a struggle to pay this for over 3 years. But I really want to get better so I kept going.

My first day in the new program today. It was exhausting but very helpful. I am hopeful.

Hi everyone-
I just wanted to post an update. I have completed a few weeks of an IOP program as well as other support groups. I am also on a new medication. I feel like a new person compared to when I originally posted! I only have a few weeks left of the program and hopefully I can continue to feel better. Just wanted to let those who are struggling that things can turn around with the right combination of support.

Thanks so much for your reply. I understand if that was his intent, but to just spring it on me in a time...
You are not over-reacting.. I got similar (either a sudden dose of 'tough love' or complete emotional/spiritual withdrawl) reaction from my therapist I was seeing up to 3 times a week for 16 months before it hurt so much I had to stop seeing her cause it waa too much.. she told me contact her many times then suddenly she just seemed cold towards me and even made a few comments that really hurt - though I understand my condition is exhausting).. God bless you and I pray for you and all sufferers to stay strong.. even though I don't know how either..

Mary: depression is the worst. I tried antidepressants (after much coaxing) but had awful side affects....
I had sane experiences with SSRI - now afraid to take them - all I have is Xanex which is great for panic attacks or severe anxiety attacks but I only get two per day and lasts only hour or two - apparently just enough to handle bare minimum of my daily unemployed father responsibilities and force myself to look normal or happy for my kids sake and well being which is my top priority.. I just so afraid of failing life, above all, my children's delicate souls that need me very much.. homelessness is very near unless I can recover which doesn't look good after tryng EVERYTHING I can find on my own.. hoping I wouldn't make this about me (it always seems to at this stage which is why I rarely reach out or when I do delete it before posting out of embarrassment and shame) I just wanted to reach out and agree about SSRI - God bless you and the care best u can.. one hour at a time and PRAY for strength & answers..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back