• đź’– [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] đź’– Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sufferer Newly diagnosed with PTSD

SquidBaby

New Here
Hello everyone 🙂

I figured since I've been posting more on this forum that I should properly introduce myself. I go by Squidbaby here as I am not comfortable sharing my real name. Anyways, I was diagnosed with PTSD a little over a week ago. And let me tell you it was not really a surprise.

Growing up, my father was and still is an abusive alcoholic. Me and my siblings were abused in every way (verbal, physical, emotional, and possibly sexual still having flashbacks about that one). The abuse didn't remain on us however, he inevitably abuses my Mom as well. As you can imagine, I had a tumultuous childhood filled with rage, substance abuse, parents in and out of jail, failed rehab stints etc. For the sake of brevity I will fast forward to what is presently effecting me.

Writing this post is actually extremely hard for me, I have a hard time being vulnerable with people. With that said, about 2 weeks ago I attempted to quit using marijuana to cope with my life. I decided I wanted to be sober. But once I quit I became very sick. I was an anxious mess, I couldn't eat or sleep. I was very emotional and didn't know what was going on. I even had to take a trip to the ER. Luckily they were very kind and after another doctor's visit I was diagnosed with PTSD.

So, thats my story so far in a nutshell. I am still learning how to deal with it everyday. I have therapy I'm looking forward to in the coming weeks and months. Im on medication that has helped me function better than before the diagnosis. I am hopeful for my future and if you read this, thank you. I am happy to have found this forum.

Hello everyone 🙂

I figured since I've been posting more on this forum that I should properly introduce myself. I go by Squidbaby here as I am not comfortable sharing my real name. Anyways, I was diagnosed with PTSD a little over a week ago. And let me tell you it was not really a surprise.

Growing up, my father was and still is an abusive alcoholic. Me and my siblings were abused in every way (verbal, physical, emotional, and possibly sexual still having flashbacks about that one). The abuse didn't remain on us however, he inevitably abuses my Mom as well. As you can imagine, I had a tumultuous childhood filled with rage, substance abuse, parents in and out of jail, failed rehab stints etc. For the sake of brevity I will fast forward to what is presently effecting me.
Writing this post is actually extremely hard for me, I have a hard time being vulnerable with people. With that said, about 2 weeks ago I attempted to quit using marijuana to cope with my life. I decided I wanted to be sober. But once I quit I became very sick. I was an anxious mess, I couldn't eat or sleep. I was very emotional and didn't know what was going on. I even had to take a trip to the ER. Luckily they were very kind and after another doctor's visit I was diagnosed with PTSD.
So, thats my story so far in a nutshell. I am still learning how to deal with it everyday. I have therapy I'm looking forward to in the coming weeks and months. Im on medication that has helped me function better than before the diagnosis. I am hopeful for my future and if you read this, thank you. I am happy to have found this forum.
Hello Squidbaby,

Thank you for bravely sharing a part of your story with us. I want to extend a warm welcome to you and let you know that you are not alone in your struggles. It takes a lot of courage to open up about your experiences, especially those involving trauma and its effects on your life.

I'm truly sorry to hear about the difficult challenges you've faced, particularly with the abuse from your father and the impact it has had on you and your family. It's understandable that these experiences have left you with PTSD and have affected your coping mechanisms. Quitting marijuana, as a way of coping, can bring up unexpected challenges, and I'm glad to hear that you are seeking help and support from professionals like therapy and medication.

Having hope for the future is an important mindset to hold onto as you navigate healing from your trauma. Remember that healing is a journey, and it's okay to have ups and downs along the way. This forum is a supportive space where you can connect with others who understand what you're going through. Sharing your experiences and listening to the stories of others can be incredibly beneficial in the healing process.

You mentioned that you're looking forward to therapy and that you're on medication to help you function better. These are important steps in your healing journey, and I encourage you to continue seeking the support that you need. If you ever feel overwhelmed or need someone to talk to, don't hesitate to reach out here on the forum or to your therapist.

On myptsd.com, you will find different forums dedicated to specific topics related to PTSD and CPTSD where you can connect with others facing similar challenges. Remember, you're not alone, and there are people here who care about you and understand what you're going through.

Take care of yourself, and know that we're here to support you through this journey.

Warm regards,
Riley Jones

Back