• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Nightmares you don’t remember & waking up feeling off, stiff, sore.

I have ADHD and dyslexia
same. but i wasn’t diagnosed with either til after well after my brain injury (which happened when i was a teen, years before much was known about ADHD and dyslexia). i always struggle whether to attribute my issues to my TBI or CPTSD. the first accident happened in my teens then another again later as an adult in 30’s (i’m in my 50’s now). everything is always so fragmented and mixed up for me in terms of memories. sleep has always been an issue for me. i used to wet the bed incessantly til i was near teenage, even though i slept walked and woke up a lot. would pee myself while sleep walking. incidentally, wetting myself is one of the panic attack reactions i have.

same. but i wasn’t diagnosed with either til after well after my brain injury (which happened when i was a teen, years before much was known about ADHD and dyslexia). i always struggle whether to attribute my issues to my TBI or CPTSD. the first accident happened in my teens then another again later as an adult in 30’s (i’m in my 50’s now). everything is always so fragmented and mixed up for me in terms of memories. sleep has always been an issue for me. i used to wet the bed incessantly til i was near teenage, even though i slept walked and woke up a lot. would pee myself while sleep walking. incidentally, wetting myself is one of the panic attack reactions i have.
Anxiety and insomnia are the two hardest for me to attribute to whether it’s my ADHD or my PTSD or a mixture.

The brain and mental illness itself is so complex but at the same time so frustrating because all you wanna do is figure yourself out.

my moms side of the family, a lot of them had like some type of sleeping issue whether it was sleepwalking or sleep terrors or talking in their sleep …like my mom would pee the bed as well so then that makes my mind wonder maybe there’s a genetic factor. Typically I would be getting on Google looking this stuff up like genetics related to sleeping habits and going down the rabbit hole and I won’t lie, I’m working from home makes it very tempting. I probably will do it later lol. but I can definitely pinpoint that to my ADHD.

did you get tested for ADHD and dyslexia because of the accident or were you displaying symptoms as a kid? I know a lot of people that have ADHD but I don’t know as many people with dyslexia. Or is that kind of fuzzy? sorry for all the questions!

I wasn’t diagnosed until I was 20 with ADHD and dyslexia. my elementary school days were not a cakewalk that’s for sure, tutors every year. The teacher would want to hold me back, but my parents would say she has good grades, in every other subject your not holding her back, just because of her difficulties with reading.

i was not diagnosed til after. there was so very little understanding and resources of such things when i was a kid.
yes, you said that my apologies. I got tested as an adult. They wanted to test me as a child for ADHD but it was still kind of like everyone thought you could only have ADHD if you were hyperactive and I do not have that symptom of ADHD. You know when you’re in elementary school you think of like the boys jumping off the walls and not sitting still and stuff or at least that’s what my parents thought of when they thought of ADHD and then everyone kind of thought when I was younger dyslexia was seeing letters backwards the only letters my parents told me I had trouble with were B and D.

The difference in the amount of mental health knowledge we have in this day in age is incredible compared to what it was.

Attachments

• 499B097F-4571-414C-A61F-C18E60D1DD04.png
    499B097F-4571-414C-A61F-C18E60D1DD04.png
    422.8 KB · Views: 62
Back