• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Study Nurture trumps nature in determining severity of PTSD symptoms

Status
Not open for further replies.
The study isn’t on children, though. It’s on an adult population. Many of whom would have the ability to form secure attachments, and many of whom would not. Of those who did have the ability, opportunity would be the issue at hand.
That is an interesting insight.

I was thinking along the lines that if you didn't get to form secure attachments as a child that you couldn't, you were highly impaired or it would be difficult to do so as an adult.

I am very interested in knowing about how adults learn how to form secure attachments.

I am very interested in knowing about how adults learn how to form secure attachments.
Therapy, self awareness, being around good people.

my marriage is a secure attachment . It has occasional veers with my ptsd - and I had to work through avoidance initially. But one has to be honest with one self, communicative and be trying this with others prepared to be doing the same or whose foundation is to be better at secure attachments.

secure doesn’t have to mean permanent- - I think I had that idea from the name. It’s healthy - interdependent . Safe. Forgiving ( to a point ) .

So if you are abused and you have good enough attachment and are comforted and validated that could insulate against PTSD?
The things I'd read seemed to be saying that often, yes validation concern etc. could be a buffer for the impact that traumatic happenings could create. It's probably part of why victim-blaming/shaming and "silencing" people is/can be harmful. And why "isolate the victim" is such a pernicious tactic. I was really pissed off to realize how much that seems to have true in my case but what's done is done.

I honestly went directly to minors/children when I heard "attachment," but @Mee 's comment explaining how they had a solid healthy attachments with their spouse but not as a child is something i think is true for me too.

I personally assume attachment style is largely nurture-influenced vs. genetic BUT i'm no expert.

And this is about as much as I can focus on this without getting myself into a tizzy so I'll shut up.

@Friday - the whole "how to avoid paying for veterans' care" burns me up and I'm not even military or closely connected to many service members. I'm in healthcare on the admin side which is a plenty upclose view of those stupid 'games' about pin-the-exclusion-on-the-patient. But doing that to people who signed up to serve is just so damn unjust.

Reactions: Mee
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back