• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Relationship Partner has cPTSD and has been unresponsive for 3 weeks

Annie1123

New Here
My partner of 5.5 years is in an isolation period. A few times a year, these periods of withdrawal and unresponsiveness go on quite long. So far it has been 3 weeks, but we haven't seen each other in person in about 2.5-3 months. I'm trying to figure out what to do when he starts being responsive again. He sees an individual therapist, and I have been going to CoDA meetings in now, which are helpful, but I forgot (until I found this website) that isolation is a cPTSD symptom. (I probably need to find my own therapist soon - my last one was a poor fit for me).

Anyway, I don't need "constant" contact or reassurance, but it is a lot easier for me to stay regulated when we can talk every 2-3 days. And, despite the cPTSD, I *do* need to know that he is willing to make some sort of a commitment to working together in this relationship. I've been dealing with 5.5 years of his fear of commitment (he used to show physical and verbal affection, but I think that spooked his avoidant attachment and he has retreated to a "safer" arm's length distance in the relationship since then, which keeps the relationship on a pretty shallow level) and I need him to have just a *little* more of a stake in this. A relationship without expressions of affection, without making a commitment after several years a together, and without communication just isn't much to hold on to. I've been really willing to work with him. I think he's just dealing with a lot of fear and overwhelm and past hurts & trauma.

I'm wondering if finding a couples therapist with a trauma focus could help us to develop some skills together to help make these longer periods of isolation (1) less frequent and (2) more tolerable for both of us.

I'm wondering if finding a couples therapist with a trauma focus could help us to develop some skills together to help make these longer periods of isolation (1) less frequent and (2) more tolerable for both of us.
YES. Big yes.

Anyway, I don't need "constant" contact or reassurance, but it is a lot easier for me to stay regulated when we can talk every 2-3 days.
I usually ask for / can handle (depending on whether I’m the one holed up & hurting / running wild… or they are… symbols.

Before asterisks meant kisses? I/they could text an asterisk back. Yes. I’m alive. Just not able to think/feel my way through words, right now. As well as other code. Better tech? A pic of something beautiful/funny/random.

5.5 years… you guys have SOLID history, that can equate to your own personal code, of I love you.

You just need to find it.

Sounds awful for both of you, for different reasons. I think some of us don't find closeness as soothing, but sometimes frightening. Isolation can feel soothing, and bring safety. But it doesn't mean 'you' are the cause. It's just if you learn to numb or avoid by yourself it feels soothing or decompressing and anything else feels like it could end badly. Lifelong lessons are hard to overcome because trying something different won't always feel good, especially if somewhere it brings up the shame of childhood (because kids blame themselves for not being worth care or attention). Also, we don't know what others need if they don't say, and they don't know what we need if we don't say, and we can give what isn't needed, or not receive what is. Trust is paramount. I think understanding, and communication in some form as @Friday said while respecting your own standards helps too. You probably know each other better than you give yourselves credit for so trust also in that.

Best wishes to you both.

Back