• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Planned C-Section? To Avoid a Major Trigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daoloth

New Here
Hello everyone,

I would like to have one child who is biologically related to me, but childbirth would honestly be very triggering for me. While I understand that a planned C-section is typically a significantly worse experience for the mother than a more natural childbirth, it would not be triggering to me specifically. I've done almost 7 years of therapy and am currently 32 years old; I please understand that I have tried other paths to work through this already.

I would really appreciate it if anyone here who has had an planned C-section could share their story.

Thank you.

I had an unplanned and a planned c-section. They both went well but they were 20 and 18 years ago. Insurance rules have probably changed since then. I wanted to hold my babies right after birth and I didn’t get to in either case. I’m a little bit sad about that, but I probably benefited from the recovery time. Just sad that they didn’t bring the baby to the room they moved me to for quite awhile. Having a baby has a lot of invasive check ups prior to delivery. I think that helps prepare you and develop trust in your doctor team. At a c-section, You will be completely naked when they do the spinal and get you ready and move you to the metal table. Then your upper half gets covered up and there is a screen between your upper and lower half. This is if you are awake, of course. Present at the birth. When I think of a natural birth, I feel as though the pregnant person and a small community is working together to deliver a human being into the world. It’s beautiful. You have less control of your environment with a c-section. It’s still a small community and beautiful and special, but different. I didn’t have a choice in either of my births.

That must've been stressful not to have a choice, and I imagine it might have felt unfair. I think part of what I want is a choice. The sense of control, like you said.

Were you ever able to have a more natural birth experience, or did you just have the two births above? Also, how did you cope with lots of invasive check-ups? (Edit: If you don't mind sharing.)

While I understand that a planned C-section is typically a significantly worse experience for the mother than a more natural childbirth

I'm not sure why you would say this. The recovery post op? I had a planned c-section due to an infection. It was quite a while ago. You can get a spinal block, be numbed below the waist, and be awake for the c-section. Yes, it's surgery, so there's a recovery time, but it's really not that bad. Do you have any specific questions about the c-section?

I have had 2 kids. Vaginal delivery and planned c-section.

Because of the severe tearing during the 1st, a c-section was highly recommended.

I would 100% prefer the c-section -again, I had many complications during the 1st delivery-. The recovery was easier as well -although not a walk in the park-.

I was able to be awake for the procedure and to hold my baby and do skin to skin less than 1hour post delivery.

I would talk yo your doctors and be very communicative about your wants and needs.

That must've been stressful not to have a choice, and I imagine it might have felt unfair. I think part of what I want is a choice. The sense of control, like you said.

Were you ever able to have a more natural birth experience, or did you just have the two births above? Also, how did you cope with lots of invasive check-ups? (Edit: If you don't mind sharing.)
I only had two births. The first one, they tried inducing at 14 days past my due date, but I started bleeding a bunch and my baby’s heart rate dropped. A swarm of doctors ran in and put me flat and oxygen on my face. I didn’t know what was going on. Once things got calmed down, my doctor gave me the choice of going home for the night or doing a c section then. I chose to have my baby.

I think that the relationship that develops with your obgyn is similar to that with your therapist. This includes the nurses. The checks became routine. I also didn’t have major ptsd at the time. Mild symptoms at best. Trust is hard for me, but when you have your baby’s life as your primary goal, your thought process changes quite a bit. At least it did for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back