• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Post-EMDR Processing

Status
Not open for further replies.
"no motor morons can distract me from the necessary ease back into daily life. I was a heart beat away from a very bad day driving home from other in-office sessions."
Oooohh! This is a great point! I always feel that it's probably not safe for me to be driving either to or from my sessions. Last week, I found myself driving 75mph in a 45. Probably not safe, but didn't care if anything happened. Considered driving off the road.
Glad to hear the virtual sessions are workable.
Thanks for the input!

driving 75mph in a 45
Please don't do that! If for no other reason besides you could get a ticket, please stop. It's dangerous out there, enough danger already- take it easy and everyone gets to go home safe at the end of the day.

Please don't do that! If for no other reason besides you could get a ticket, please stop. It's dangerous out there, enough danger already- take it easy and everyone gets to go home safe at the end of the day.
I normally don't. The anger took over 😥 and I didn't even realize I was doing it. 😯

Back to the point- Yeah, it is great to be able to finish a session, tune in a good station or load a CD and just sit and drink cold water for awhile. I really have come to appreciate that part of the virtual sessions.
The other day my T said I was the first to be 100% on line only, several more after me i am sure. It's what we have so we work with it and it has it's perks.

Back to the point- Yeah, it is great to be able to finish a session, tune in a good station or load a CD and just sit and drink cold water for awhile. I really have come to appreciate that part of the virtual sessions.
The other day my T said I was the first to be 100% on line only, several more after me i am sure. It's what we have so we work with it and it has it's perks.
I might have to give it a try. Thanks for your insight!

emdr is not good for everyone, for me a month and i had to quit. my trauma was extreme and so that led to post processing being extreme, to the point i was having body memories, and disassociated most of the time.

emdr is not good for everyone, for me a month and i had to quit. my trauma was extreme and so that led to post processing being extreme, to the point i was having body memories, and disassociated most of the time.
I think this is what I was most curious about from other folks who've undergone EMDR-- what the post-processing actually consisted of for you. The quality (or substance) of the content, and how it literally manifested for you during post-processing. What you've gone through is pretty similar to my experience.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my original post. When I initially wrote, T and I had just begun 80min sessions of BLS focusing on triggers. My latent concern at that time was that I'd been insufficiently resourced, and that consequently during the post-processing (which lasted most of each following week), rather than the experiences being processed and integrated in a healthy way, I was on the edge of being re-traumatized.

My initial thought was: Well, maybe this is just normal for post-processing-- that the cyclical thoughts just continue ad infinitum and don't calm down or lead to any conscious restorative insights that reduce the anxiety, stress, hypervigilance etc. And sometime, maybe months later, you just notice that that's happened subconsciously and you're "all better"?

The main thing I was feeling during post-processing was that I didn't have anything positive or new whatsoever to effectively counter all the negative, painful thoughts/emotional states. It just felt like I was repeating cycles of destructive emotions and thoughts that I've already gone through repeatedly for years.

I addressed this with T, and after taking a couple weeks' break from BLS, in my "normal" state I can look back at the weeks of post-processing and see that I was pretty plainly spun out and not functioning or thinking in a healthy way.

Has anyone else gone through something similar? If so, how did it resolve? How did you articulate your concerns to your therapist?

And for those who mention you spent a lot of time on resourcing, exactly how long? Multiple entire BLS sessions? Or 10-15min at beginning of BLS session, or just 5 min of tapping in resources daily by yourself at home?

Thanks again to everyone for sharing your experiences. It is so helpful learning what others have gone through with this weird process.

i should mention that right after i quit i ended up in hospital because it was overwhelming me
I can understand how that could happen, and I am sorry that the overwhelm got to that point for you. I hope you've found another therapy that has been more helpful. Had you done any therapies like CBT, DBT or ACT before undergoing the EMDR? (I think I have been through every acronym in the book at this age, and the practices I picked up through those may've helped steady me and draw back safely)

I can understand how that could happen, and I am sorry that the overwhelm got to that point for you. I hope you've found another therapy that has been more helpful. Had you done any therapies like CBT, DBT or ACT before undergoing the EMDR? (I think I have been through every acronym in the book at this age, and the practices I picked up through those may've helped steady me and draw back safely)
i am doing cbt now, my prior therapist was one to push emdr, she herself would not do trauma. she violated my trust x3, so i canned her, i now a wonderful therapist and have made many huge progress. each one adds up to more hopeful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back