• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

PTSD from career loss

rod

Policy Enforcement
I have been seeing recently that the loss of a career can cause PTSD. I lost my career in the military before I even had a chance to start it through no fault if m own. I prepared for my career since I was 8 years old by joining the Young Marines. I moved on to the Civil Air Patrol and received the Spaatz Award. I then attended NMMI and was accepted into USAFA. Hoever I could not attend due to my only parent getting very sick. I knew I could go through OTS or another program afterward. I got my Masters (which was just a general degree since the program I went to did not require me to complete clinic hours, (which are now required to actually practice) for a healthcare field. I got all my degrees by student loans because my family did not have the money. I got the Masters so so I could make Major. I then joined the US AF Reserves, found out I needed a tech degree to become an offficer at that time. So after I reached SrAMN I reached oit to my CO and he suggested I transfer Army. Worst decision I ever made.

The female TAC in OCS decided she did not like me and threatened a peer to write statements behind my back about her thoughts about me being "interested" in her or she would be recycled. There was no interest. This was also verified by 7 other eyewtness statements that were wrtten after we graduated and I found out what was going on. I went around and they confirmed that for the 14 weeks that we ate, lived, and trained together I showed no interest in her. I barely knew her. Then she wrote a statemet that during our Christmas break I showed up at her house and gave her a package.

We found out later when I sued her she was staying with her parents, in Kansas during that time. I was in Georgia with several relatives, where the class was celebrating that we made it through the class. When I got back to the Compny I was acosted and told I did things that I did not do. I was allowed to graduate, but a flag was dropped after that and i was booted. No chance of recycle, tried to get back in, but a certain person from CID blocked my waivers.

My attorney, my [name removed] took took this to the Board of Corrections in person, and then to court after the denial but was professionaly threatened. I sillget flash backs to this day about being emotionally harassed during that time. They called me to the office and berrated me and ignored me when I told them point blank that "I did not do that" 17 years of this. Tried to get therapy but I dont have $300 out of pocket to spend each session. Developed sleep apnea beacuse of what happened.

My question is: i have been trying to find someplace to diagnose me formally. I did get a dianosis (limited) last year, but when I went to the VA the diagnisor told me I have to have see someone die related to my time in the service. Papers are already printing you canget PTSD from the loss of a job. Where are people who will diagnose this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Papers are already printing you canget PTSD from the loss of a job.
Unfortunately, these papers are wrong. Criteria A is necessary to get a diagnosis of PTSD:

Criterion A: stressor (one required)​

The person was exposed to: death, threatened death, actual or threatened serious injury, or actual or threatened sexual violence, in the following way(s):

• Direct exposure
  • Witnessing the trauma
  • Learning that a relative or close friend was exposed to a trauma
  • Indirect exposure to aversive details of the trauma, usually in the course of professional duties (e.g., first responders, medics)

This isn't to say you don't have PTSD from your military career or from something else. And this isn't to say that you aren't suffering. But you're never going to get a PTSD diagnosis from losing your job.

There may be other low-cost options for you to receive therapy.

Unfortunately, these papers are wrong. Criteria A is necessary to get a diagnosis of PTSD:

This isn't to say you don't have PTSD from your military career or from something else. And this isn't to say that you aren't suffering. But you're never going to get a PTSD diagnosis from losing your job.

There may be other low-cost options for you to receive therapy.
As I mentioned above. I have already been diagnosed due to the loss of my career. Has nothing to do with "a job." And no Forbes and several other papers dont just print stuff willy nilly without checking their material. Especially if the article is specifically about career loss and PTSD. Sorry, since I already have the diagnosis I do know that C-PTSD IS indeed a "thing."

I have already been diagnosed
You say you were diagnosed, but yet are requesting a formal diagnosis. So you haven't been diagnosed, some quack agreed with you after you kept pushing them on it. That isn't a diagnosis and it's why no VA will ever offer you benefits for this. Losing your job is not a criterion A event, period. PTSD requires an actual or perceived risk to your physical wellbeing, which losing a job doesn't cause.

Last edited:
What you’re feeling is grief, nothing wrong with that. It’s worthy of working with a therapist on. But it’s not PTSD, please don’t lump it in with those of us who have experienced serious life altering, never going to sleep peacefully again trauma.

What you’re feeling is grief, nothing wrong with that. It’s worthy of working with a therapist on. But it’s not PTSD, please don’t lump it in with those of us who have experienced serious life altering, never going to sleep peacefully again trauma.
Emotional abuse causes PTSD. Maybe you should look it up sometime. I did not come here to be berated. I came here for answers. I did not expect this to be a troll forum, thank you. Why don't you try and quit having flashbacks while physically lashing out at your significant other while in a waking dream while lying in bed. You have no idea what a "
life altering, never going to sleep peacefully again trauma."
is apparently.

You say you were diagnosed, but yet are requesting a formal diagnosis. So you haven't been diagnosed, some quack agreed with you after you kept pushing them on it. That isn't a diagnosis and it's why no VA will ever offer you benefits for this. Losing your job is not a criterion A event, period. PTSD requires an actual or perceived risk to your physical wellbeing, which losing a job doesn't cause.
oh gee... must have been a typo then:
"I have determined that the diagnosis of PTSD is clearly met per criteria as set forth in the diagnostic andstatistical manual (DSM-V) of the American Psychiatric Association. (ISD-10-CM Diagnosis Code F43.12)"

Emotional abuse causes PTSD. Maybe you should look it up sometime. I did not come here to be berated. I came here for answers. I did not expect this to be a troll forum, thank you. Why don't you try and quit having flashbacks while physically lashing out at your significant other while in a waking dream while lying in bed. You have no idea what a "

is apparently.

Ah I’m sorry, the flashbacks of my stepdad shoving himself into me and convincing me it was all my fault definitely don’t qualify me. But for sure, missing out on a job sure does. Nice. Please enlighten me, I have sorely been miseducated during the past several years of therapy.

Mod Note:
Everyone take a step back.

No one here is in a position to diagnose anything, or rule out a diagnosis. You may have a list of diagnostic criteria in front you, but you don’t have the individual and their unique set of circumstances in front of you.

Hit Ignore on this thread if you’re planning to come back and start a pile on. This community is better than that.

@rod - you will get opinions that are difficult to hear on this international forum. Take what’s helpful, leave the rest.

Everyone is at liberty to disagree with an opinion. But attack the opinion, not the person. We don’t have a lot of rules here. One of the few is:
No Personal Attacks: There is a difference between attacking someone and disagreeing with their viewpoint. We prohibit blatant attacks against the character of another member. Disagree with the point of view, but respect the individual, always.

Back