• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Quitting Smoking (At Least Trying) Any Tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quitting smoking.....Your mood, and attitude is a given. Do whatever you need to do to get through this.

I know it tough, but I have a feeling that you are tougher....

Wen

Good for you Veiled. I went through it almost two years ago. It really is worth it. I either cried or yelled all the time for a couple of months. I think the best thing I did to stay quit this time was to join a support group on line. I didn't post much but read others' posts so I got advice second hand.

Remember to reward yourself frequently. You deserve it.

Susane

Ok Veiled, now let me tell you a short smoking story--like you haven't gotten enough of them already! The difference in this story is not the outcome BUT THE PROCESS. I decided 1 day out of the blue to quit after smoking for 40 years. I went out and got lots of icecream, chips,JUNK FOOD--lots of junk food!!!! Got enough old movies to last the weekend and started my odessay!!!!

I spent the entire weekend in bed--as that was the only place I did not smoke. I watched my movies, ate my junk food, slept when i got tired and had a completely enjoyable weekend. NO CRAVINGS NO PAINS NO NOTHINGS!!!! Of course I was alone with on one to get on my nerves so that part was easy. The real truth is the entire process was a breeze. About 4 weeks later my home was robbed while I slept. That was the true test and I passed. I sometimes forget how really easy it was for me to quit. But it was. Honestly, the easiest part was the detox period and that only last 3 days. I did alter my morning riturals with coffee and newspaper, but after about a week the coffee and morning paper was fine with no smokes. I know everyone is different but this proces was so easy and painless that it was scary!!!!!!! But it worked and I was a smoker who would "walk" to the store if I had less than a full pack to last me till the next morning--hell I would have crawled if necessary! 2 1/2 packs per day was my "monkey" and now I can't believe I ever smoked. That was 6 years ago and I have no desire to smoke and if the truth be told cigarette smoke now makes me sick!

Try it. After all if it does not work at least you have a fun weekend

Good luck Herc

Well, I keep making it 48 hours then I smoke a couple. I am going to try to make it past the 72 hour mark this time. I am at 48 now. I swear I could kill someone right now. I don't need to go into what I said to hubs and I wanted to throw him out last night. Yes, my reasons may be petty but for me and especially when I am worked up they are not. Still petty enough I won't admit to what here!

I just want to know how long until I find relief? I swear the agoraphobia is the ONLY thing stopping me from smoking. I could walk around the block and get a pack, but being without makes the anxiety so much worse. And the death thing. Oh lord the death thing. I have been lost in panic before I even knew it was coming and only know I was having an attack as I realized I am freaking out thinking I am actually dying and trying to argue with myself I am not. I have not taken the xanax some how. I have no idea how. The nausea, cramps, my gums are fried and my tongue hurts??? Headaches so intense, and muscle aches. The insomnia is just insane. I can't sleep in my bed as I think I will knock the hell out of hubby as for some reason when I am meditating and he snores at two AM I am convinced he is just making noise on purpose! I know I know, but at least that is what I am thinking in the middle of the night and boy do I get pissed.

My exercise has flopped. I can't go alone and I usually have to push and prod hubs. He says he wants to go but I have to make him. Well, this is usually fine but I am not in the mood to force something and if my mouth opens it sounds more like get off your lazy ****ing ass instead of 3 times of honey, you coming, let's go. I just end up in the next room thinking he must be trying to make me smoke by pissing me off... Some sinister plan. OK, I know this is crazy, but damn, no smokes makes you loopy. No smokes, no beer, no xanax...

I would say I at least have chocolate but that is messed up now too!! That is just WRONG. Apples and chocolate have a distinct alcohol flavor and scent. Like they were dipped in whiskey. It is gross. Nothing tastes good. I thought I would get wonderful flavors and smells. Everything stinks and tastes like shit.

I went three months without smoking, once. Everything tasted like cardboard the whole time. I'm not sure when your taste buds are supposed to come back, but I do know it takes awhile.

Yeah not smoking makes a person snarky and unreasonable. It's just part of it I think.

I still say your doing good!

bec

Veiled,

Oh how I relate to everything you are going through, and I am so sorry this is so rough for you right now.....Yup it's a bitch.....I really don't want to piss you off either, but the smoking a few........ every few days......Well all it's doing is making the withdrawals last longer, cause you are putting it back into your system again...I'm sorry... I'm really trying hard not to piss you off. It takes up to 72 hours for the nicotine to get out of your system, then you have to deal with the withdrawals...Not easy to do..

Have you ever considered taking Chantix????? It's not a gum, patch thing, but a pill that blocks the craving for the cigs. Then you get off of it after you are smoke free.....There are really great results with it...Just a thought...

I know how hard it is, so I guess just keep trying. Good luck and stay strong.

Wen

Veiled,

I was a smoker, so I understand how miserable stopping is. Each small step is a triumph, so keep up the good work.

vst

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back