• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Readers thread: what or who are you reading right now?

About halfway through Willa Cather’s “One of Ours.” Her writing has such a soothing quality to it, I suspect she’s setting me up to cry at the end. About 15 years ago I read her Great Plains Trilogy: “O Pioneers,” “Song of the Lark,” and “My Antonia.” As a writer she can do it all for me—imagery, dialogue, symbolism, plot, characters, motif—very satisfying read. Her style kind of reminds me of Barbara Kingsolver.

Checked y'all read lists since Jan...

And I read everyone's except The Room and @Mee's lists. Yo @Mee, super high five on being inspirational reader and bringing books to my attention I haven't heard of yet.

And what I'm reading is articles on Lima syndrome and sooo not finding what I'm looking for.

That’s such a great compliment! The reading challenge I started this year really helped me tbh . I had forgotten how much I enjoyed memoirs. And history. I also read leads of YA fiction , but after keeping things easier for a few years I’m still not throwing my self into stuff that I feel like is ‘work’. ( I tried some Voltaire I’ve always disliked and thought - ‘why - why am I trying? ). I’m making sure I balance better now though.

I think it just had to feel - engaging . Also because I read SO MUCH I can get a good mix going easily. I always read a lot but I couldn’t have read this much for fun while full time employed for example.

Aww I dig Voltaire and still didn't read all of him... so I'm happy to grab the books you can't stomach @Mee. ;)
the great think is - free public ( electronic) access to classics! I was listening to an audio - not audible but name escapes me right now- used to be really big - people volunteered to read books that had free access- was great resource for those with vision issues , or for what ever reason preferred audio .

@Mee if you like memoirs you might like "Speak, Memory" by Vladimir Nabokov. He is considered a classic author, but he's not too hard to read because his descriptions are so vivid and his dialogue pulls you right into the moment, in my opinion. I had only read one book by him when I read his memoir. It's so good, it reads like a novel.

@Mee if you like memoirs you might like "Speak, Memory" by Vladimir Nabokov. He is considered a classic author, but he's not too hard to read because his descriptions are so vivid and his dialogue pulls you right into the moment, in my opinion. I had only read one book by him when I read his memoir. It's so good, it reads like a novel.

I like classics! I just hated the particular Voltaire I was giving another go ( Mícromegas). I like Candide , for example.

I have not read Nabokov, so thanks for this suggestion, I put it on my wish list !

Agatha Christie´s "Passenger to Frankfurt". I found it in one of the free bookshelves around the city.
I´m surprised by how well she writes. Obviously she´s one of the greats, but I almost never read literature that surprises me.

‘The story of silence’by Alex Myers was so moving . I read quite a bit of fiction that ‘happens to have’ gay / non binary / queer characters rather than seeking them out - it certainly doesn’t put me off.

But gender was the core issue of this book without words like non binary or trans ever being used and a very deliberate of pronouns. I found it the pronoun use as a devise especially intriguing and at times challenging and a useful check for my own emotive response to something that doesn’t impact me.

I hope to remember to go seeking for reviews specifically in several months after it’s been around longer - from Non binary perspectives - because How it’s received from that audience will be educational to me.

Back