• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Rocking back and forth - any rockers here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do the rocking when hit with a flashback but more I do the hand flipping, much like DeafGlobal described and quite often thumping my chest with my knuckles. This is about the only gesture that, besides whacking my thighs, that upsets my hunny, however, it does help the anxiety and was suggested to me by therapist at one time. It is rhythmic and comforting.

Most of my twitching and gesturing doesn't seem to bother people I think because children tend to find it silly and I love that :) I'll end up smiling as well. Stretch my hands and not think a thing of it, I'm so use to it. Kicking my feet is another gesture that not only helps my circulation but helps to calm me.

Rain

Hi forum, just a wild shot in the dark, but I'm a rocker - not the heavy metal kind, but the kind that rocks back and forth a little in tense situations (mostly going to sleep). I find it comforting, and i just wondered if there were any like me here.

I'm assuming it's similar to being rocked in the womb or cradle. Strangely, it takes no physical effort, and I am rarely aware that I'm doing it. It had to be pointed out to me.

I do this all the time. I have rocked many times until I am sleepy or just plain exhausted. I feel as if the danger or anxiety is gone after rocking for a long time. Most times, it is all I know how to do when I feel afraid.

I do this quite often, along with another long set of "stims" like cheek biting, lip biting, leg bouncing, etc. It helps me deal with stress and I find it soothing.

When I was a kid I rocked back in fourth and hummed. I was scared of the dark and I wanted my brothers to wake up so I could fell safe and fall asleep. I'm 23 now and I rock back and fourth to relive stress. I'ts like I escape to a different world. It also gets my mind off of your troubles and helps me fall asleep. I just wonder sometimes if I'm autistic or weird or something.

<Edited by Amethist to capitalize I's throughout post>

I did the same thing when I was young. Really cool forum, I rock constanly and havent slowed down at all. When ever I rock I some times I go into a dream like state and Im completely oblivious to my surroundings. I use to rock on my knees but I jacked them up back when I was in the military. If I dont rock I have very high anxiety and sometimes I'll start to have alot of confusion. From this forum it looks like there is really no medical treatment but its nice to know that there are other people dealling with it in a positive mindset. Dont let people get you down for rocking dremoney because if you think about it, its a great excersise and you dont even notice that your doing it! Take advantage of it, turn on some music, go in a dark room and rock. It does so much for me, makes me relaxed, and it feels like my body is realeasing a ton of endorphins. Thanks for sharing people. P.S. I was laughing so hard when someone mentioned the ohh shit handle in the car. I havent heard it call that in so long. LOL

Hey,

Fellow rockers... it's a bit embarassing, isn't it? Anyway, I've just joined the forum, and thanks for all your posts! It's really good to share. I also find that listening to really strong, emotional music can help me deal with what I'm feeling and not need to rock. If anyone's interested, try searching for Beethoven's 9th, cymbol clash version on youtube (can't post the link as I don't have enough posts yet). Helps me deal with strong emotions/stress response.

I'm not sure if I rock, but I tense up, and every part of my body starts shaking, it's like shivering but all over. It happens when I'm having a flashback or dissociating, and every time I enter a hypnogogic state; and sometimes very rarely during these shivering episodes, I'll rock slightly to try to calm myself.

Is this the same thing? I'm not sure.

I haven't rocked in a while, but I did use to a lot and found it very comforting. Now when I do it it feels contrived, like I'm trying to rock. It's better when I just find myself doing it...much more comforting. I'd never thought of it as a sign of dissociation though, so that is interesting to read others perceptions of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back