• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other Sub-clinical hypothyroidism

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellbird

MyPTSD Pro
Has anyone had sub-clinical hypothyroidism/+ had experience of being treated with thyroxine for it?

I have just been diagnosed -- my GP was a gem and tested t3 and t4 instead of just the usual tsh, and they're both clinging on by their fingertips.
So we're starting with low dose thyroxine tomorrow morning and then having our levels tested again in another 3 weeks.

Hopefully it will ameliorate any mood/etc symptoms it is contributing to.
Curious if any others have been through the same.

Thanks.

Has anyone had sub-clinical hypothyroidism/+ had experience of being treated with thyroxine for it?

I have just been diagnosed -- my GP was a gem and tested t3 and t4 instead of just the usual tsh, and they're both clinging on by their fingertips.
So we're starting with low dose thyroxine tomorrow morning and then having our levels tested again in another 3 weeks.

Hopefully it will ameliorate any mood/etc symptoms it is contributing to.
Curious if any others have been through the same.

Thanks.
Yes, started out at 25 mcg and ramped up over 10 years to a stable 125 mcg. It was amazing how much even just a small dose made me feel so much better. Happy to answer any questions you may have!

Hey, @anon1234 . Thanks so much for writing back :) and really glad you had a good experience on it.

I just started on 25 mcg this morning.

When did you start to notice the positive effects?

Hey, @anon1234 . Thanks so much for writing back :) and really glad you had a good experience on it.

I just started on 25 mcg this morning.

When did you start to notice the positive effects?
Rather quickly. Maybe a week or so. I felt even better as the dose started getting bumped up.

In my early 20s I had started putting on weight and was really lethargic. My Mom had hypothyroidism and realized what was going on. I had to persuade my GP to test me, but when the results came back, yep it was sub clinical. I also found out I was highly deficient in vit B12 a few years later. That caused me some similar symptoms. Something to keep an eye on perhaps.

I got tested regularly for my thyroid and it was stable at 100mcg after just 3 years.
Then when I hit 30 I had to go up to 125mcg. It’s been stable there for a long time now. I don’t even think about it these days. It’s just part of my morning routine. Brush teeth, take pill. If I don’t take it for whatever reason, I feel a bit tired a few days later but it’s not like I slip immediately into a coma or anything, so don’t worry about that. I’ve had to go 4 days without once and I felt brain fog but I still functioned and went to work.

I take levothyroxin 50mcg along with a other pill for my thyroid. You should improve. Take it with water and don't eat for 30 minutes after taking it. I can tell when I don't take them. I feel real sluggish. Welcome to the world of a bad thyroid! Actually, I was really sluggish in school.. So like everything else.. Undiagnosed.

Rather quickly. Maybe a week or so. I felt even better as the dose started getting bumped up.
Awesome :)
I'm on Day 2, and to be honest at this stage I'm just pleasantly surprised that I haven't had side effects (I'm very sensitive to meds and get side effects from basically everything).
I also found out I was highly deficient in vit B12 a few years later. That caused me some similar symptoms. Something to keep an eye on perhaps.
Thanks, we tested my B12 at the same time as I've been deficient in the past (and had B12 injections for treatment) but I'm currently fine for it :)

Iron, too, is sub-clinically low but fortunately my GP recognises that a clinical range isn't an optimal range, and we're boosting that too :)
I got tested regularly for my thyroid and it was stable at 100mcg after just 3 years.
Nice!
Take it with water and don't eat for 30 minutes after taking it. I can tell when I don't take them. I feel real sluggish.
Thank you :) the pharmacist gave me this advice too.
Welcome to the world of a bad thyroid!
Haha! Well, at least I'm in good company here ;)

I also take levothyroxin 50mcg, I take it with food though and I believe that nullifies its effectiveness. Maybe I will put the bottle next to my toothbrush like someone mentioned, good idea...thanks. I'm usually not eating for an hour after I brush thought I do have a cup of coffee.??

. I'm usually not eating for an hour after I brush thought I do have a cup of coffee.??
You have to wait on the coffee for 30 minutes. So, wake-up and take your pill with water ( good amount) wait for thirty minutes before coffee or food.

You have to take levothyroxin on an empty stomach. Can't have any food in your system at least 4 hours before u take it.

Sheesh bellbird! I do sound like my pharmacist! Lol

Last edited:
My mom's on this for hypothyroid. Will do this as well to see if it improves for her... so far as I know even the assisted living wasn't aware of this... and it sure don't say that on the bottle. Thanks for the info... learn something new darn near every day. She's on 125 mg (but is in her late 70's).

Iron, too, is sub-clinically low but fortunately my GP recognises that a clinical range isn't an optimal range, and we're boosting that too

Excellent they are taking care of that. Do you mind if I ask whether you got an iron deficiency panel? That reveals a lot more than a hemoglobin count (speaking from experience of a condition unrelated to my thyroid that led to severe anemia, depression and fatigue). Just wanted to make sure you had all bases covered here since you were addressing these issues.

I too had to have B12 injections! It sucks doesn’t it! I am D deficient too - dealt with easily by taking 5000 IU a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back