• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Terrified to the point of physical illness over COVID test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for telling me more about it @Deanna ! I think I’m nervous bc way back in March I read an article about mishandled tears actually giving people COVID. My neighbors got tested at this site and were all fine, though, but I was so nervous.

@Deanna They only swab in your nostrils there?
When I had mine done I had to do it myself in my car - one swab that had to be rubbed on tonsil (or back of throat for me as I don’t have tonsils) and then same swab poked up nostril. Pretty unpleasant because the throat one made me gag throughout! I like the sound of yours more! :)

way back in March I read an article about mishandled tears actually giving people COVID. My neighbors got tested at this site and were all fine, though, but I was so nervous.
Understandable - there's a lot of confusing information out there.

If it's available in your area, you could look into the antibody test, instead. It's a blood draw, not a swab. Downside, you need to go into a lab - though they tend to be the cleanest places, virus-wise. Upside, there's no risk of cross-contamination whatsoever.

The important thing, re: managing your PTSD symptoms around this, is to make sure you're investigating the available facts so you can try make an informed, balanced decision based on those, rather than as a response to your anxiety and/or emotional reasoning.

Thank you @joeylittle I've been in doctor's offices, no problem. So maybe I'll look into that. I've been exposed multiple times, before people knew they were sick, but have never had symptoms. I'lll see if my insurance would cover that.

My T talked to me more about the test, and I was maybe going to go this morning, but ended up sleeping in (I've been having trouble sleeping too much). I think it's open tomorrow too. I'm still isolating, though.

If I don't have symptoms, is it worth it? Can I just wait out the 14 days and track to make sure I have no symptoms?
Yes. This is a great plan. Even if you had a negative test result, this is still what they recommend before interacting with high risk folks. Tests help if working a high risk job and symptomatic, to know if a 14 day isolation is needed for contacts. But for no symptoms and future contact with grandparents? Not much cause for a test.
thank you @siniang thats what I’m gonna do, I feel sorta embarrassed about the whole thing. I had not trouble traveling cross country but getting a test, which is safer? Total meltdown
I've been tested numerous times in numerous settings for both the virus and the antibodies. There are inaccuracies in the tests. The virus test has a decent rate of false negatives and the antibodies have a high rate of false positives. I had two friends who got in line for a test... and never got is and somehow ended up with positive results. This one experience.... but there are lots of others. Tests have limited value. For someone with no covid symptoms, it's not likely to chance the best course of action, which is to wait the two weeks and then hang with the grandparents.

Most of all, I'd ask your doctor about if and when a test would be helpful and warranted, and what is the least stressful way to get one done.
Thank you for telling me more about it @Deanna ! I think I’m nervous bc way back in March I read an article about mishandled tears actually giving people COVID. My neighbors got tested at this site and were all fine, though, but I was so nervous.
It's pretty unlikely for someone to get sick from testing.... Also, a lot has been figured out since March. The drive through sites are getting it down better and better. I was nervous the first time I did it, now, not so much.
Thank you @joeylittle I've been in doctor's offices, no problem. So maybe I'll look into that. I've been exposed multiple times, before people knew they were sick, but have never had symptoms. I'lll see if my insurance would cover that.
Antibody testing was an easy blood draw for me. Negatives are fairly reliable, but false positives happen a lot. Doc may be able to do it in office. I hope it works out!

Hey everyone, I travelled recently, through COVID-heavy states, and have been quarantining since then. My 14 days are up next Tuesday. I wear a mask around the people I live with and we stay 6 feet apart. I have had no symptoms, I had a bout of dizziness and allergies when I first got back (but I think that's because I was dehydrated and have an illness that flares when I don't drink enough water), but no actual symptoms. I was supposed to get tested this Tuesday, but woke up so anxious I was nauseous, and ended up throwing up. I cancelled my test, and felt better. I rescheduled for tomorrow morning and now am having so much anxiety I feel like I'm going to throw up again.

I am so paranoid that I will get infected from the drive-up testing site. I read an article that contaminated tests actually infected people. I don't want to take that risk (I had to travel, but I was EXTREMELY cautious. I didn't even take my mask off for the entire 6-7 hours of flying, hence the dehydration). If I don't have symptoms, is it worth it? Can I just wait out the 14 days and track to make sure I have no symptoms? I'm in contact with my grandparents, but haven't been since I got back. I wanted to get tested to protect them, but I am going to throw up again if I have to go to the site. I'm having panic attacks. Thank you.

Face your fears and get tested. Yes I had symptoms and tested positive for sars cov 2 on july 8. I am fine now except angry at the FLA governor asking us survivors to be tested for antibodies so we can donate plasma to help others. I am a retired RN. I will always do what my doctors say . Not what the government says.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back