• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Therapist leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownLea12

Learning
She just told me today she is leaving the practice in about six weeks. Noooooooo!!! I know she won’t leave me to just figure it out, but D@M* it!!!!! She has been my lifeline this past year. Ugh. Heart broken. And she isn’t sure she is going to even stay in practice elsewhere, as she is getting close to retirement age. This sucks.

I feel for you. I’ve had mine for 6 years and for the first time he is going on an extended leave. One thing I know is he is my second good one. The first did two years then left and it took many years to find him. I hope she has people to introduce you to as a next step.

That sucks, @BrownLea12. It's really crappy - but you might actually benefit from it.

Just about a year ago I too lost my beloved therapist - she moved away. It was really hard. As others pointed out at the time, though, I received great care from her, so I would much more easily be able to recognize great care going forward. That turned out to be true.

And it turns out that my therapist leaving was a wonderful gift to me, because it taught me how to grieve effectively. And eventually I ended up with the therapist I have now, who is even better than she was.

I hope the same for you.

I hope she has people to introduce you to as a next step.

Me too. I wasn’t sure about her style and philosophy at first, but she has grown on me.

Just about a year ago I too lost my beloved therapist - she moved away. It was really hard

Yes, it’s so hard when it’s so permanent. They know so much of you and one day you have your last session and that’s it. End of the road. I think that’s what will be the hardest for me. I’m like Paul Harvey- always want to know the rest of the story.

This is hard, but it might be a new time of growth, going to a new therapist might help open some doors that you hadn't been able to before. Change is constant in life, so it is best to be flexible and do new things so we don't get stuck and hate change even more. Magnesium is calming so that will help too. Talk to your best friend for a while to get perspective. talk to many you know to find out who they recommend or look at reviews online to find a trustworthy one. You got this, you are able. <3

I feel for you. This is truly a hard time. It may take you awhile to grieve this loss and to adjust to this person being gone from your life. As you walk through this and live through this time just know that you will get through it, and life does get better. I know that sounds so much like a death of a loved one and some people might judge that, but with complex trauma issues and the depth that we bare and the therapist listens to it is like a death of a loved one.

Oh, so sorry, @BrownLea12 . I've been through this and it is so hard. In my case, I was given almost no notice, and I really, really liked her.

Having said that, I am grateful for the one I have now (and I had to go through 2 others to get this one). I'm losing confidence in him now, but we've had a good 7 plus years.

@hithere So true it feels like a death. I keep telling myself this is not a big deal, I shouldn’t let it affect me so much. But it is and it does. And it’s so hard for people “in real life” to get it.

@whiteraven My first therapist with whom I really connected was an almost 8 year relationship. I left on my terms, doing well, living. I took an 8 year hiatus and got married, had children, and then the postpartum depression sent me down the rabbit hole. I tried to find my first T and remember the sinking feeling when I realized she was no longer “findable.” I found my current on the first try and it seemed so perfect, until last week. </3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back