• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

ED Undereating, suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I´m looking for a book, or something, that can help me out with my chronic under-eating.
I always lose all interest in food when I´m depressed, and then I become more depressed because I don´t eat enough.

A guide or a book with steps in it, that I can re-read every time this happens, would be great.
Otherwise a book on depression that also talks about this, or any book about self-care that include this topic.

I tried looking for something online, but even the books on anorexia are linked to over-eating and that is really not my case.
Reading about all these over-eating issues makes me feel like poop because I wish I could eat more.

Thanks Bellbird :) :)

I also found some information on how to get your kid to eat (we care more for our children than we do for ourselves..)

The advantage of having a physical book is putting it somewhere in sight, so it´s available at a grasp -
I´ve tried to change this eating habit many times in the past but always fail due to having no clear, comprehensive guide.

what about a very beautiful nutrition book? That makes it feel caring and beautiful rather than a chore? I love this book-
Dead Link Removed
it’s not focused on anything you ‘do wrong’ it’s calm, it looks at different ages/ needs. It’s attractive. It’s NOT a eating plan book.

One of the things that helped me the most was taking a nutrition class at university.

Required for my degree, it was an unexpected bonus, not for the class itself, so much as for the software program we were required to buy for it. Because wowza, was it ever complicated. I have NEVER looked at any food as healthy/unhealthy... ever again. Because the software is designed for use by nutritionists (4-7 year degrees), it takes into account everything. Not just the standard age/sex/activity level... but medical conditions (both chronic and acute), medications, climate, religion, it’s this HUGE list of factors which greatly change a person’s nutritional needs.

As part of the class we had to input everyhing we ate into the program, all quarter. As well as make adjustments to it when we were sick, or had a skiing weekend, or a lazy do Nothing day, etc.

As someone with an ED, it was an invaluable tool to actually have and use in my own home.

There were -many- days I only consumed 400 kcal... which is -generally speaking- not healthy. BUT? Because I was eating very densely packed nutrients (meal replacement shakes, smoothies, V8, sashimi, Greene&garlic, Fatoosh, etc.), I was actually eating “better” on most of those days than days I had the more standard 2,000 calories. Ditto, the pizza I always felt guilty about eating? Come to find the exact one I ate was “perfect” nutrition. Then, out of curiosity, I looked up my winter ration MREs (military)... because we were always struggling to keep weight on whilst eating them, and holy wow! 6,000 calories each?!? We were eating 18,000+ calories??? So then I looked up my average snowboarding diet, and summer swimming diets, and yep. 20,000 calories on those days, too. Yikes. And yet? The program insisted I was exactly where I “should” be, according to my baseline health, and lifestyle.

Now, there were definitely times where my 400kcal days were a handful of crackers, and a soda... that were nutritional busts. Ditto, parties where I was eating 5/10/15,000 calories worth of junk. But for the most part? I was almost exactly meeting my nutritional needs by varying my diet, according to the season and the sports I was playing, and a few minor tweaks had me singing along even better. Because I had a few consistent deficits that were easily fixed, just by knowing they were there.

Amaaaazing software. And it can be found on just about every university campus on the planet. Different brands/publisher... but the same science builds it.

Yeah, I'm the same way. I'd like to eat something. I've narrowed it down to hamburgers ( just the pattie) oatmeal and ice cream. ( cancel the ice-cream because I've got it out of my system( I'm tall, 5'10" weigh 140. I do better at 130. Exercising tonight. Walking on treadmill for an hour.

I don't crave anything. Good thread. I do love oatmeal though.

I also found some information on how to get your kid to eat
This is a really cool idea!
The advantage of having a physical book is putting it somewhere in sight, so it´s available at a grasp -
For sure.
Although, if you find a series of ideas or tips that work for you, from online source(s), nothing to say you can't write them down yourself. From experience: tactically placed post-it notes can be wonderful things, indeed. :hug:

I am on cabbage soup and veggies I'm eating a lot but I've lost 10 lbs and I'm skinny now. But I don't talk to.anyone so no one's complaining. I feel ok but I can't lose anymore weight. I can't go back to how I used to eat either and I've been stuck like this all life mostly. I also have terrible food sensitivities which makes it harder . Eating enough good food is a full time thing.

Yeah, I'm the same way. I'd like to eat something. I've narrowed it down to hamburgers ( just the pattie) oatmeal and ice cream. ( cancel the ice-cream because I've got it out of my system( I'm tall, 5'10" weigh 140. I do better at 130. Exercising tonight. Walking on treadmill for an hour.

I don't crave anything. Good thread. I do love oatmeal though.
I'm eating hamburgers just the patties now, usually for breakfast. I am sub 160 lbs 6"1" I don't hate being thin. Cabbage soup, vegetables apples bananas and organic non GMO corn chips, a muscle milk every day. 2 cups of coffee. I'm putting cheddar on the hamburgers which slows my digestion. I eat them with ketchup, love ketchup. I have chicken breast I have to cook them today. : )

I'm eating hamburgers just the patties now, usually for breakfast. I am sub 160 lbs 6"1" I don't hate being thin. Cabbage soup, vegetables apples bananas and organic non GMO corn chips, a muscle milk every day. 2 cups of coffee. I'm putting cheddar on the hamburgers which slows my digestion. I eat them with ketchup, love ketchup. I have chicken breast I have to cook them today. : )
Ha! I put cheese on my hamburger patties too! It makes then last a lot longer in my gut! I also eat them with ketchup! We're twinkskies! :happy: as far as chicken, I don't really care for breasts ( white meat). Like legs and thighs. I'm 5'10" 145 lbs. You are difineately small for 6'1"at 160. My ideal weight is 130. I feel better. I let the sweets get the best of me during the cold months, so have to exercise now. ( have been) I also had to get my cat someone to play with ( another cat) because she wanted to be with me all the time, so.. I throw them in bedroom for an hour and Exercise. without cats, lol

You pretty much eat like I do. Eggs are good too, hard boiled for a snack
You're diet needs protein like me. I can't eat very much though. Small stomach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back