• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Using a day-long regimen for better sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

RachelBigby

Confident
What I do in the day, even the morning, affects how I sleep at night. The cumulative effect of the day's intake has a huge impact on my nerves at night. No kind of sleeping pill overcomes that. I've tried every remedy under the sun, from prescriptions to Chinese herbs, and nothing brings me down from a busy day.

For me, what helps is to slow breathe and meditate several times a day. Not just lay in bed with my mind racing. Not lay on the couch all day. I mean active sessions of inducing calm. Have a session, go outside and walk around, have another session. For me this is far more effective than staying in bed.

After dinner I drink a mix of ginger and magnesium powder. Then I slow breathe at bedtime. It doesn't knock me out for any big 12-hour sleep run (I've never had one of those) but it does improve my sleep in a meaningful way. My deep sleep goes from 30 minutes to 60 minutes.

Just thought I'd share as food for thought in case it helps someone.

When I began my descent into chronic insomnia decades, ago my doctor was confident he could "fix" me with drugs. The first miracle drug was the sleep potion Ambien. When the regular dose didn't work, it was increased...and increased...and increased. That was abandoned for clonazepam/Klonopin. Again, the dosage was continually increased with no results. So, ta da! He combined the two drugs...until I was literally taking a whopping amount of Ambien and Klonopin together. Still, wide awake. I wonder how many of those pills it would have taken to be considered an overdose? The new sleep drug Lunesta had just been introduced, so that was the next plan. The commercials for Lunesta depicted a blissfully sleeping woman in her cozy bed, dreaming peacefully while a purple butterfly flew gently about her room. I tried Lunesta twice. Both times brief interludes of sleep did come, bringing with it nightmares even more terrible than the ones usually played on that horror channel. I told my doctor, "Those aren't butterflies! They're killer bees!"

I refused any more medical intervention for my insomnia. I had been given the diagnosis chronic insomnia and I accepted it. People marvel at all I accomplish in my day. My day has more hours in it than theirs does. I read more books, listen to more music, dabble more in my art projects, bake more, research more, study more, read my Bible more, pray more, scrapbook more, and stare at the photos of my children and grandchildren more. Sometimes I just sit and think. I plan...and plan...and plan some more. Sometimes I sit and cry. Often I marvel at the life I used to have compared to the one I live now...the awesome people in my life...the miracles I've been blessed with. Insomnia is just one more hiccup on this path of mine. It's annoying, frustrating, and always exhausting. But like the chronic physical pain, the ptsd, and my history, I've learned I need to accept it, own it, and keep on moving.

Late December my last 2 brothers were diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. I don’t think I slept for several weeks. Meds, therapy or meditation didn’t work. Finally I found a good Dr (on YouTube lol) that reminded me of the natural remedies and exercises that I always used before ptsd. I was like wow how did I forget this?!!
So now I’m sleeping 6 hours, enjoying meditation and books again. Was able to accept that I might be the last one left in my family. Dealt with the grief of losing them. Helping my brothers and telling them I love them more.

Sleep apnea, TMJ still make sleep preparation potentially stressful but I’m deep breathing through that.

Glory Days 👋

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back