• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Why is Defending Myself So Triggering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yes, I was also taught by nuns for several years, and told to offer up all my problems to the Blessed Virgin, the Saints and so on, rather than complain. Though some of the nuns of my childhood seemed happy, the majority were very bitter women indeed. Jim's sister, who is a very traditional nun, is an unhappy woman for certain. To be fair however, many nuns are now quite modern and think more of themselves than previous. Evie unfortunately was at a convent school of nuns who opted to remain traditional.

Since I mentioned the nuns, I am really thinking they played a fairly large role in how I feel about myself. I mean being polite is good but offering everything up to God all the time and being totally uncomplaining... well, that's being a martyr! I don't think it's healthy at all. No wonder I'm confused... :p

Yeah recovering Catholic is right... omg... sometimes I think being Catholic is traumatic in itself! ;)

Yeah, especially if you were raised with all the hell talk. I was very lucky to go to a liberal, progressive Catholic school in the late 60s/early 70s so I got to miss out on most of the damaging stuff as a little kid. I stopped going to our church here after I heard the new young priest using hell talk to scare the young schoolkids for recent problems they had getting along with each other. I had other reasons to stop going, but that was the final straw for me. I think it amounts to child abuse. That stuff gave my husband nightmares for years.

LOL, offering everything to them is good too. It does not backfire on everyone. That is what moved me past my guilty phase. A lot of prayer and listening to my very Catholic sister. I have not been to church in, oh I am not even about to add that many years up! Anyway, just going back to the basics with my sister's help did a lot to make my cross not so heavy to bear. I don't think this is really possible without a blind faith in something, but for me going back to the Catholic religion somewhat has helped a lot.

Unfortunately it's still happening in some circles Hodge. It's not the case anymore, but when I was younger my family was very much into traditional Catholicism and the teachings of Archbishop Lefrebre, if you've heard of him. He is the Archbishop who opposed Vatican II and was eventually ex-communicated for his beliefs, and formed a schism in the Church. I used to attend traditional Latin mass and learned on the old Baltimore catechism from an early age. I still remember that the definition of Gos as: "God is the Supreme Being, infinitely perfect, who made all things and keeps them in existence". I know all that stuff by rote. My family has always been close and supportive but being raised with these kind of beliefs definitely has an impact.

LOL, offering everything to them is good too. It does not backfire on everyone.

Yeah actually I do agree with you too Veiled. I've started going back to church myself, and it does help. It's peaceful there. I'm not sure I really believe in God but I find going to mass with my family and praying comforting in some ways. But it's a modern Catholic church I go to now. Big difference from before.

Yes, Evie, I've heard of Archbishop Lefrebre, and I think the conservative movement in the Church been making a comeback. The new priests are being trained in the ultra-traditional, conservative teachings, and it seems that Vatican II has been put on the back burner in many ways - a situation my older priest friends (age 60+) are finding depressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back