• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Worldwide impact of the novel coronavirus (covid-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And, the "no eviction" orders are state or local, not federal.
The part the local government isn't addressing is what happens at the end of the 90 days. In 2008 when homeowners couldn't pay their mortgages they were given the same kind of grace period. But since there was no "plan" most of the banks required them to pay it all back, including interest, the day the grace period ended. And when they couldn't? eviction and foreclosure.

My sister has been out of work for a month now and she is terrified of having to come up with two months rent the day the grace period ends. She's happy to pay it back of course, but she believed there was going to be a payment plan so she could pay it gradually to catch up. No such luck according to the people who did it before - and if you read the fine print it's the exact same scenario this time around.

Thanks, I sure hope it doesn't happen over there. Would it mean not even being allowed out to buy food?
I don't know exactly. They are so far being vague about it, so maybe the politicians also hope it won't come to it. If there is food delivery, cool... but what if you can't even do that? He was saying 'people won't starve in 14 days, but it would save many lives(from the virus)' .... my thoughts are, better be ready food-wise too just in case so I don't have to panic-buy on sunday if it does happen. I am lucky, I don't really have allergies and not that many food intolerances so I could be fine. If it does happen I'd be more worried about my mental health tbh. We'll see in the weekend, I guess, I'll write an update if it does happen.

Nerd ms spock here (as if the name doesn't say that in flashing lights) In February we started stockpiling enough food and resources for 3 months.

I always keep a pantry, but I was doing the minimalist thing and didn't have a lot on hand. I started stocking up in Feb. also. Because I worked during the swine flu in the emergency room, I knew we were gearing up to this. I mean, back in Feb. we all knew there were no vaccines, no medicines, and it spread quickly. I just quietly topped up my pantry and bought and started extra seeds for the garden. I also started chicks early. I have people who know I keep chickens calling and asking for hens and roosters. That's a first!

Imo more useful than 'wish the country would'

Yes, I don't expect a bailout from the federal government, but I do expect leadership and the truth. I had to stop watching the daily briefings because I can't stand people lying. Plus I'm really, really tired of the words and phrases, incredible, best, best in the country, best in the world. I can't stand how everyone now bows their head to his majesty and expresses what great leadership he provides.

The President seems to be in contact with the governors

Except the governor of Washington state and "that woman" from Michigan. He won't talk to them because they are not appreciative of what "he's" giving them. As if he owns the federal stockpiles.

if you read the fine print it's the exact same scenario this time around

I have a friend, well, not really in the last week or so, who is going to stop paying her bills and rent thinking she won't have to pay it back. She is on SSI, so nothing has changed for her. She just wants to see what she can get away with. Ugh.

Sorry about the rant. I know most of the general public just doesn't get it, and there has been so much lying and downplaying that people don't know what to believe now.

I’ve a feeling the longer this goes on the more people are going to stop bothering with the social-distancing. A week into lockdown here and they are already giving up following the guidelines in the stores and are complaining about the fact that they're supposed to. Some are getting sh*tty. Give it a few weeks, I reckon, and few people will be complying when it comes to keeping their distance. I hope I’m wrong about that, but based upon what I’m seeing, I doubt it.

I had to go get medical care today for presumed (but not at all confirmed) covid 19 in a way that I won’t get into the details about other than what limited info I give in this post. I was able to stay safe and so was staff. It’s a trial run thing that they are doing. Somebody in front of me - a good 30 feet away from me outside - I watched them as they collapsed and staff rushed over and they were performed life saving procedures and they were hauled into greater care. There was only 5 of us at this wildly (and appropriately) spaced out clinic that was outdoors.

This person went from coughing to dying in front of me.

I know 12 people in my life who have tested positive or has exposure to the positives and are sick now and presumed positive. It’s a bit much. Granted I work in an area where there’s a lot of people but, I know all these people as considerably more than acquaintances. One is in very bad shape and we’ve texted as they fight to breathe.

This is trauma and I’m not the only one experiencing it.

I hope that the policymakers and the powers that be are factoring in funding mental health care resources for when the dust settles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back