• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Political/educational Groups (abuse, Domestic Violence, Sexual Violence)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cat-lady

MyPTSD Pro
Hi, I'm interested in getting more involved in groups that lobby for new laws and/or help educate the community on issues like abuse, domestic violence, sexual violence etc. These are the issues I have ptsd from. I would also be interested in groups that help support people going through legal battles surrounding stuff like this. Does anyone know what are some good legitimate groups like this? Any specific groups that you would avoid because of being too fringe/vigilante? I'm looking for groups focused on positive peaceful change. Thanks.

Does anyone know what are some good legitimate groups like this?

I'm looking for groups focused on positive peaceful change. Thanks.

minor and probably un-important detail
by definition, a law is backed up with the credible threat of lethal force
and the "legitimacy" is due to impunity, rather than any consent

lobbying for laws AGAINST violence is lobbying FOR violence

"Positive" in the legal sense of the word, means "I say (posit) it therefore it is", it can be completely against any sense of logic or justice and is summed up in the quip of a Clinton (Slick Willy) aide; "Stroke of the pen, law of the land; kinda cool".

Education, persuasion, shaming and shunning does not imply violence - just saying so that you don't end up involved in campaigning for the very acts of violence that you are against.

Last edited:
There's an organization that is called prevent child abuse. I believe they have chapters in every state. In my state they are pretty much on the forefront educating teachers, cops, parents, etc. It might be worth checking out for your state.

I've heard several news stories about this organization. Public Policy & Action | RAINN

Search for Coalition Against Sexual Assault (CASA)
it is a nationwide group run by individual state chapters. You'll have to find yours...or consider starting one. California's is CalCasa.org, New Jersey's is NJCasa.org and so on...

Thank you @cat-lady for choosing to take this courageous step now that you feel ready for it!

Best of luck!

Hi, I'm interested in getting more involved in groups that lobby for new laws and/or help educate the...

I dont know what state youre in, but dodging dubious origins and covert religious or political affiliations can be difficult.

Most people trying to avoid that wind up in local county orgs.
Thats not that satisfying either.

If you want to know how to get a clean list of ideas then there are some things to look for.
If I remember right you're an attorney or law student? if so it'll be easier.

I' can post back tomorrow or feel free to pm if you want

I would suggest you contact your local DV shelter, rape crisis hotline, & low income legal aid groups for their recommendations. Since they're in the trenches dealing with these issues day after day, they would probably have a good idea who the movers and shakers are to hook up with.

If you're more interested in national groups? The local groups you get referred to would know who their umbrella orgs & the big players on the national stage, are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back