1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

10 Years Untreated

Discussion in 'Military & Emergency Services' started by NSVet, Mar 6, 2017.

1. RCD_VET

RCD_VET Member

This is one of THE best descriptions of PTSD I have ever seen/heard!! This explains why so many (vets especially) seem to take years to realize they have an issue. I will use this analogy often! The one other thing I've been told that helps me quite a bit is quite simple. Soldiers get wound VERY tight in tough situations. Some just don't unwind easily and respond to situations from that tightly wound up state. Getting help to unwind is necessary.

I've gone 18 years and just now beginning my journey with VA to get the help I need. Between comparing our traumas to other soldiers, plain out soldiering on, or just not believing it's possible to have a "problem" we just ignore it. I've found my symptoms are getting worse from ignoring it and it's time to start doing what I can to control those symptoms again. It's great you're here and even better that you're taking some steps to get some help.
    Buttercup likes this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Freida

Freida Been There, Done That, Lived to Tell the Story Premium Member

Yep. Yep. Yep you get used to that level of stress and you start to think it is normal. It's not. "Normal" people don't constantly have to look over their shoulders because they have nothing to be afraid of. Are know differently. We know there are monsters lurking just out of site. We've seen them. Now you need to learn how to decelerate

And I say this with love. Yep. Stupid. I know because I just left my therapy appointment and once AGAIN she told me to stop comparing my experiences to those who I think have more right to have PTSD because they suffered more ..... It's called minimizing and it's one of the biggest coping techniques used by people with PTSD. If you can minimize what happened then you can convince yourself it wasn't that bad. Trust me...I'm the queen of it. Been doing it for decades. It works for a while. Then it doesn't

Can't hit a moving target right. They had it worse than I did. Suck it up cupcake. Blah blah blah.

I'm so proud of you for coming here and for starting the process. It's a tough road that only the truly brave can handle. Nice to know you are one of us!!
    RCD_VET, Iceman and leehalf like this.
  4. jade53

jade53 Active Member

Happy to share that. It's slight variation of what I said when it was suggested by therapist while a skeptical GP was convincing me I had to have bipolar disorder in 1996, somewhat before much was known. "No way I've got a problem dealing with stress and trauma now after how much I did before". Bingo
    Freida likes this.