• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Anxiety and difficulty catching your breath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have any of you tried the Buteyko method of breathing? It's about extenidng the outbreath which switches a person out of flight or flight.
One of the biggest principles is to never breath through the mouth, rather through the nose which naturally calms a person. I'd be interested to hear any of your experience.
thanks

I have had this ever since I was little - around 5 or so is the first time I remember it. It stands...

I have a similar experience and my therapist told me it’s panick attacks. It wakes me up and it’s like I can’t catch my breath. He taught me today to wear an elastic band around my wrist and to snap it- it distracts negative thoughts (kind of like being pinched)... I know panic attacks are different than negative thoughts but I would think it would help focus on something else while it’s happening

I have a similar experience and my therapist told me it’s panick attacks. It wakes me up and it’s like I can’t catch my breath. He taught me today to wear an elastic band around my wrist and to snap it- it distracts negative thoughts (kind of like being pinched)... I know panic attacks are different than negative thoughts but I would think it would help focus on something else while it’s happening

Yes, this makes sense. I find that if I am distracted by something - today it was cleaning - it's not nearly as debilitating.

The breathing issue is better - not completely, but significantly. It's been replaced, though, by that intense paranoia I get sometimes - sure certain people are talking about me, or behind my back. Sure I'm going to be fired. Both, I think, are rooted in very low self-esteem and absolutely no self-compassion. It's sooo painful.

Ok, so it's back, full-force. Started today when I didn't get a 100% on a quiz I was taking. Escalated tonight at my mom's - they were setting off fireworks just outside the front windows. I was so scared. Couldn't get out of there fast enough. Not sure why, but I was really triggered by them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back