• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other Anyone else with young onset dementia due to cptsd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fruitcake

Dear CPTSD community, I am glad I finally found a unique sanctuary where I finally feel like I belong. I was lost and alone for so long until I eventually discovered the world of complex trauma and people like yourselves. I must say I am quite emotional just by being here, because in my country there is no mention of these things anywhere, there was nowhere for me to go and find appropriate treatment, or even meet a like minded soul. This unfortunately led me to have a serious cognitive decline because of the chronic never-ending anxiety which I lived with, that eventually degraded my brain neurons. I want to share with this community and the experts if they are here, my secure belief that I am in the process of developing dementia in my 34 years of age. The decline is steadily getting worse each day and may vocabulary is most affected for now. I feel alone and abnormal because nobody has these extreme symptoms as I do. I'm grateful for that but also confused how I managed to destroy myself to this extent. My insights came from the very depths of delusion which I lived and which collapsed the moment I understood what was really happening to me. I wish I had acquired this knowledge sooner, and I feel it is my duty to spread as much awareness about this topic as I can. Please visit my website if you are interested to know more.

<Website link removed, self-promotion is not allowed. Questions, ask via Contact Us.>

Your opinion and verdict would mean a lot to me because we all suffer from a similar condition here. I know it is a long read but I really did try my best to write it considering the state that I am in. Please share your impressions if my text is more beneficial than harmful, my intent is not to create more suffering and confusion but to try to inform and help people. Thank you for your time and God bless you all.

Last edited by a moderator:
hello fruitcake. welcome to the forum.

"trauma induced amnesia" was my first official psych dx in 1973, long before the ptsd theories had coalesced. for the life of me, i couldn't understand why my shrinks said "amnesia" like it was a bad thing. i couldn't remember my childhood, but i had plenty of current day evidence to "prove" it was worth forgetting.

by the mid-80s (my early 30's but still years away from the coalescing of the ptsd theories) i began to gain some clues why they were saying "amnesia" like it was a bad thing. the continued efforts to "forget" were wreaking havoc across my entire memory function, both short and long term. as i read your post, i wondered if i would have mistaken it for dementia without the prior psychotherapy. as it was, i **just** decided to take that amnesia therapy seriously. i still give myself daily memory checks.

today, at 68, i might be the only senior citizen i know whose memory is improving with age.

but that is me and every case is unique.

steadying support while you sort your own case. welcome aboard. good luck with your blog.

In a related post I just made I talk about the relationship between trauma, PTSD and psychosis. I think a similar argument can be made for the relationship between PTSD && cognitive impairment -> that is, solely as a result of PTSD that can be severe enough to qualify as "dementia-adjacent," though the good news is that with treatment (especially medicine as excessive cortisol levels are damaging to your neurons) you can reverse some of these effects and regain cognitive capacity. It may not be what it was, but the cognitive impairment as a result of PTSD is separate from the cognitive impairment caused by dementia or Alzheimer's. When I am really bad I struggle to connect two strands of thought at all & mostly sit catatonic with no ability to engage in any way, locked in my own psychotic hell.

Welcome to the site! I’m glad you feel that you fit in here…it takes all kinds of people to make this the valuable place it is!

I am wondering if you have had a medical doctor check you out for things that can mimic almost every psychiatric symptom there is, so that is vital.

We each find our own way to healing but finding help by coming here along the way has been more helpful to me than words convey.

I hope you find the same support!

Blessings to you!
AKJ

In a related post I just made I talk about the relationship between trauma, PTSD and psychosis. I think a similar argument can be made for the relationship between PTSD && cognitive impairment -> that is, solely as a result of PTSD that can be severe enough to qualify as "dementia-adjacent," though the good news is that with treatment (especially medicine as excessive cortisol levels are damaging to your neurons) you can reverse some of these effects and regain cognitive capacity. It may not be what it was, but the cognitive impairment as a result of PTSD is separate from the cognitive impairment caused by dementia or Alzheimer's. When I am really bad I struggle to connect two strands of thought at all & mostly sit catatonic with no ability to engage in any way, locked in my own psychotic hell.
if you have oscillations in your cognition where at certain days you are more lucid and capable and others you are not then are experience is not the same. My condition is getting worse as the days go by.

if you have oscillations in your cognition where at certain days you are more lucid and capable and others you are not then are experience is not the same. My condition is getting worse as the days go by.

It seems like you have the capability to communicate lucidly at certain points, as you have done so on this forum. I've worked extensively with Alzheimer's and dementia patients, and oscillations of lucidity is a hallmark of cognitive decline regardless of its origin. My recommendation is to seek an opinion from a neurologist and undergo testing, as these symptoms can be a result of a variety of disorders, and there are distinctions in all of them that require variations of treatment. The more time goes by without treatment, the more you will notice an uptick in your symptoms. Frankly without addressing your PTSD or trauma, it is impossible for anyone to make the determination that it is not having a direct impact on your cognition -> especially as this is the cause of your impairment, according to you?

Hi @fruitcake - you are welcome to post about yourself on this forum, but we'll ask that you not direct traffic to your trauma webpage; this is a rule we enforce site-wide. Thanks for understanding, and welcome.
I suspect you didn't even bother for a second to try to understand how I feel and all you think about are rules you have to enforce on your site. Its good to know that even in these extreme cases you don't feel its important to expand peoples attention on what is possible. Maybe having dementia like this isn't so significant. There is nothing for me here. Your staff actually wrote me that I was promoting my personal works and trying to sell something. An honest mistake, but that just shows me nobody here is invested enough to think outside the box. My small portfolio is a last testament of some works I did while I was still capable. A reminiscence of my past. There is nothing to promote there as I am incapable of working in this state. You people even punished me with some ban points. I am disgusted with you and your polices. And of course I won't be staying here.
Hi @fruitcake - you are welcome to post about yourself on this forum, but we'll ask that you not direct traffic to your trauma webpage; this is a rule we enforce site-wide. Thanks for understanding, and welcome.

I suspect you didn't even bother for a second to try to understand how I feel and all you think about are rules you have to enforce on your site. Its good to know that even in these extreme cases you don't feel its important to expand peoples attention on what is possible.
We expect people to follow the minimal rules on the site; one of which is, don't push traffic to your own websites. Pretty simple, and for the overall protection of our members.

Two staff members took the time to click to your site, made sure it fit the definitions of self-promotion, then took the time to both edit your post and respectfully ask that you comply with our rules.

So I suspect we spent more time on your opening post than you did in making this reply, trashing the site and it's staff.
And of course I won't be staying here.
Obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back