• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Called the Suicide Prevention Line and they Put me On Hold - Now I'm Even More Depressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
How horrible!!! It is a failing on there part and nothing to do with you. I also thank God that you had a friend to call and God to cry out to. Keep close to your friend and closer to God.

Completely understand. I for one find it almost impossible to say I am not in control, I need help from someone else. I try to think *what would they say* if I called? Once I was so confused. I knew it but couldn't figure out what to do. Example I use is I was horribly thirsty but couldn't figure out I needed a drink or which of the many options I should imbibe. What I needed, I know now, was just somebody to say..go to the frig & drink a glass of Orange Juice. Instead they told me things would be better tomorrow. It wasn't as bad as it seemed. They said if I said I was going to take action they would send the police & take me to the hospital. So you can guess what I said! Luckily I only took enough to sleep for a day. Now I have a list of actions, written out & handy, I've promised to try first. Also have a therapist I can call.

I'm glad you have worked through a way of dealing with these really intense moments. :)
I try to think *what would they say* if I called?

I guess that entirely depends on what the caller, in this case you, say. It varies wildly.

They said if I said I was going to take action they would send the police & take me to the hospital. So you can guess what I said! Luckily I only took enough to sleep for a day.

These people are trying to save lives and therefore saying that they will send someone to help you isn't being mean or lazy.. Once a person has reached that intractable place where they cannot help themselves someone does need to step in and do it for them. The only option is the Police, acute crisis mental health professionals etc.,

How else are they supposed to help when all discussions have not assisted in abating the desire to suicide?

How else are they supposed to help when all discussions have not assisted in abating the desire to suicide?

Sorry, perhaps I'm missing something. What are *all discussions*? Didn't know a call to a hotline was suppose to be a last resort either. Thought it was more a call for help especially when one was confused, befuddled, unclear of what to do or was going on. More of a prevention thing then a call for police.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are *all discussions*?

All discussions as in.... when you or I or anyone calls and speaks to a operator and discusses suicide, depression or whatever problem is the reason for the call... that's all??

Didn't know a call to a hotline was suppose to be a last resort eithe

Clearly if you have other avenues, people, friends, professionals that you can call upon would they not naturally be some of the first??

Yes - it's a last resort when you have no one else to call upon for assistance.

Of course it is a preventative service.

I am bowing out of this thread bc I am sick of defending public organisations that I still think are doing their best to help ppl who are in distress for one reason for another.

I do not see being put on hold, or one's call not be picked up fast enough as a personal failing of any individual operators but I have said all this in previous posts.

If you or anyone else here want to hate somebody, organisation etc., yada yada you don't know and who has nothing whatsoever to do with creating your problem (s) and is sitting in a position (usually voluntary) trying to make a difference in someone's life albeit not always yours - fine go right ahead. If you want to get together on this thread and just see one angle and not at least acknowledge there are two sides to this problem fine.. go right ahead too.

I don't agree but I am not wasting my energy defending either position anymore. :)

I have used these services on more than one occasion. I have had to wait long periods of time. I have hung up in dismay at not being answered in a timely manner. I know the 'system' is under stress too.

I have also been blessed with getting through to a operator who talked me away from suicide over the space of several hours and it was me that kept saying to him that I should hang up and let him help someone who deserved to be saved and helped. But he refused to let me go and he saved my life. What is that information worth in terms of this thread??.. idk.. it is my experience and I am glad he was there on that day.. that's all.

So.. I have held the view that all of these services and many more could do with a lot more financial assistance etc. I see that as a failing in society more than of the services themselves.

That's it.. I am out :p

All discussions as in.... when you or I or anyone calls and speaks to a operator and discusses suicide, depression or whatever problem is the reason for the call... that's all??

Clearly if you have other avenues, people, friends, professionals that you can call upon would they not naturally be some of the first??

Yes - it's a last resort when you have no one else to call upon for assistance.

Of course it is a preventative service.

I am bowing out of this thread bc I am sick of defending public organisations that I still think are doing their best to help ppl who are in distress for one reason for another.

I do not see being put on hold, or one's call not be picked up fast enough as a personal failing of any individual operators but I have said all this in previous posts.

If you or anyone else here want to hate somebody, organisation etc., yada yada you don't know and who has nothing whatsoever to do with creating your problem (s) and is sitting in a position (usually voluntary) trying to make a difference in someone's life albeit not always yours - fine go right ahead. If you want to get together on this thread and just see one angle and not at least acknowledge there are two sides to this problem fine.. go right ahead too.

I don't agree but I am not wasting my energy defending either position anymore. :)

I have used these services on more than one occasion. I have had to wait long periods of time. I have hung up in dismay at not being answered in a timely manner. I know the 'system' is under stress too.

I have also been blessed with getting through to a operator who talked me away from suicide over the space of several hours and it was me that kept saying to him that I should hang up and let him help someone who deserved to be saved and helped. But he refused to let me go and he saved my life. What is that information worth in terms of this thread??.. idk.. it is my experience and I am glad he was there on that day.. that's all.

So.. I have held the view that all of these services and many more could do with a lot more financial assistance etc. I see that as a failing in society more than of the services themselves.

That's it.. I am out :p

Again, didn't know these organizations needed a defender. Thought it obvious wouldn't have called if we didn't think they provided a service of value to us. Course being volunteer they have the usual limitations...they do their best. Demand just seems to exceed supply. But when one is bleeding to death, I think it is understandable to be upset..*normal* even..when no doctor is available to stem the flow or tell you how to do it yourself. I thought that frustration was the topic of the post.

Sorry, perhaps I'm missing something. What are *all discussions*? Didn't know a call to a hotline was suppose to be a last resort either. Thought it was more a call for help especially when one was confused, befuddled, unclear of what to do or was going on. More of a prevention thing then a call for police.

Sometimes a crisis line IS a call of last resort.

People DO end up suiciding on the line.

There are people here who have worked crisis lines who now have PTSD as a result of such work.

Maybe this gives you a better idea of the stress that crisis line VOLUNTEERS are under.

Its a hit n miss calling the hotlines. My friend just gave a text line 686868 to try.

I had good experience during crisis it took a long time to stop crying and she stayed with me on the phone. then asked what fuzzy animals i like i said gineau piggs and lop ear rabbits. she guided me to do visualizing. I sat down and used a towel as a pretend bunny. She did deep breathing with me while petting the bunny towel.
I did feel better afterwards.

On the flipside i had call takers that basically were just not equiped to help my situation and would say unhelpful things to me like go for a walk.. well its kinda hard to walk with nerve pain flaring up and murderous mousy scared mode that makes me hide... they asked me "why are you hiding"... like what the fkkk do u think i am hiding from the world. The good thing was that the question shocked me enough that i was distracted from the harmful thoughts...

they asked me "why are you hiding"... like what the fkkk do u think i am hiding from the world. The good thing was that the question shocked me enough that i was distracted from the harmful thoughts.
If it helps any, most lines are required to ask that, because a lot of abused kids and battered spouses call crisis lines -instead of 911 or 999- when they’re hiding from their abuser. Mostly because crisis? Yes. Emergency? Nah. Normal. (Interesting how that split happens, right? How it’s not an “emergency” it’s their mom/dad doignwhat they always do). Or they’ve been threatened to never call 911/999 but haven’t been told not to call a crisis line. So in their terror they call the crisis line, because they’re too afraid of what would happen if they disobey and call the police.

So if you were hiding in a closet from someone trying to kill you, and too scared to call the police? The crisis line worker can call for you. Or it doesn’t even occur to you to call the police? The crisis line worker can validate that, yes, 911 is a good idea, and no, you’re not a bad person wasting peoples time by calling 911, but doing the right thing. To give an idea, my classmates who worked the line EACH usually fielded a couple of those calls per shift.

It was one of those shocking things to learn about crisis lines. The other big eye opener was that 9:10 calls were for ordinary things. IE why “warm lines” instead of “hotlines” are getting so much funding. Because most of the people who call are just lonely and wanting a chat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back