• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Colloquialisms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mach123

MyPTSD Pro
I’ve been thinking of so many of these lately, do you have any? It’s easy to look them up but I’d rather ones you find yourself using? I’d love to hear ones I’ve never heard.

What prompted this is an Australian guys YouTube channel I follow. During a video he said in response to something outrageous, “You could have knocked me over with a feather, (when I heard that)”. This prompted a listener to ask if “knock me over with a feather” was an Australian expression. That made me laugh because I’ve heard it all my life, and like lots of things, never thought about it. I’m from New England and I guess I thought it was local.

It’s an idiom according to Miriam Webster .

So since then when I hear them I’m noticing them like the other day I heard
“A quantum leap” and looked it up and found out what it means sorta, what it refers to is more like it. : ). We said it commonly and like the last one I never thought about it’s origin.

I love language and usage and words are fascinating to me. Like we called soda “tonic” when I was a kid. Lol.

I just wrote another one or I read where I wrote it this morning. I said my wife was “giving me the business” which means bossing me or twisting my arm, which “twisting my arm”is another one.

Well, shut my mouth. That’s how I feel right now, which is what brings it up. It means astonished.

Keep your chin up

And "Stiff upper lip"

Old English-isms.

I told my second oldest to "Keep your chin up", today, on the phone as I was saying goodbye.

He's pretty wobbled out by seeing his dad get arrested and carted off to jail.

He is autistic, but, I'm pretty sure he understood what I was saying. He's 28.

None of my current family are particularly "stiff upper lip" type people, but, I did have older relatives more like that, that were English. My generation down are all Australian.

Keep your chin up

And "Stiff upper lip"

Old English-isms.

I told my second oldest to "Keep your chin up", today, on the phone as I was saying goodbye.

He's pretty wobbled out by seeing his dad get arrested and carted off to jail.

He is autistic, but, I'm pretty sure he understood what I was saying. He's 28.

None of my current family are particularly "stiff upper lip" type people, but, I did have older relatives more like that, that were English. My generation down are all
This one has so many inversions that have shades of meaning or intensity like, oh come on, look on the bright side, everything will come out ok.

I went looking for an Rv. Man number 1 comes out, and I ask lots of questions. Finally, he says, you don't want me to sell you an RV, I'm probably getting fired for not being in the computer age.....I just don't know where to look online. All forlorn, he goes to get manager. Manager doesn't know much more than man #1.

I drove home and told my friend, shaking my head, we met "Dumb and dumber"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back