• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Colloquialisms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree....but it can be taken further to mean someone who is stubborn who doesn't realize the damage they can do to others/things around them.....so they just bulldoze through and not realize the consequences. I was the black sheep in my dysfunctional family......I made them uncomfortable with the truth......and I wasn't shy about calling a spade a spade....my father a drunk.....my mother playing favorites or blind to the truth....
Yes, like a wrecking ball lol, that’s another one, I probably have heard it used like that.

I had a boss that was always using sports metaphores, so we started trying to match him with guns and firearms metaphores. It was hard to "keep a straight face".

"hitting a home run"- baseball play where a hit ball leaves the field and results in a free run for the batter, the best you can do as a batter unless the bases were loaded then it's a "grand slam", "running an end around"- a football play where the runner tries to carry the ball outside the edges of the defense half sneakily, "calling an audible"- when the quarterback changes the play after the offense has come set at the line by using a code word or phrase-last minute changes, "putting points on the board", "stepping out of bounds" etc. ad nauseum.
was met with
"going off half-cocked"- firing a shot on accident, "keeping your powder dry"- not allowing water to ruin the next shot from a flintlock, being careful, "a flash in the pan" kind of the same thing as going off half-cocked but for an earlier time and used more to express being premature, "loaded for bear"ready for anything, and "lock stock and barrel" meaning all in or fully engaged or completely involved.
So many I can't remember them all, there were a dozen of us and only one of him and he managed to "stay ahead in the count"-when a pitcher throws more strikes than balls or when a batter lets the balls thrown remain higher than the strikes called. 2 strikes and 3 balls thrown is a "full count" and it is especially important "in the bottom of the ninth" the last moments of the game.
He was pretty good at it but lousy at self-monitoring it, I truly don't think he ever caught on. We were taking "pot shots"-fast unaimed shots, and "staying on target".

The fat lady has sung so I am going to hit the hay. you all keep the shiny sides up and the rusty sides down.

Last edited:
there are so many "comparison" colloquialisms that they could be a thread on their own:
happier than a gopher in soft dirt
sadder than an upside-down pizza
and on and on (and on and on)

Sh*t or get off the pot, get on with it.

In plain English, which you say right after you say a swear word usually.

Saying something off color means swearing or profane or lewd.

there are so many "comparison" colloquialisms that they could be a thread on their own:
happier than a gopher in soft dirt
sadder than an upside-down pizza
and on and on (and on and on)
This made me think of ‘you look like the cat that just ate the canary’.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back