• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Comorbidity of high IQ and PTSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is true. And attributed to basically dwelling on stuff. But also.. people with high IQ are also more likely to improve with the right therapy because of the understanding thing. So yes. It's true. But I'm not sure diagnoses are higher for high IQ folks, just they dwell more.

Not necessarily. Only because people diagnosed by psychologists with autism (so the ones considered autistic in the studies I've read) also tend to score high in an IQ test which messes up results. Because of the low EQ associated with autism.

Yeah, I guess my experience is coloured by my autism. And being autistic, myself, I've attracted other's, in that like attracts like way.

I think I have reasonable EQ, myself, now, but, I've had to work at it, solidly, as a muti faceted education via many channels for many, many years.

I think I made that claim "HIQ people, often have low EQ", sort of, in a way to exhibit some self effacing. Here, in my culture/ country/experience, you don't get appreciated for your smarts, but then I have the psychosocial disabilities, so I guess my self effacing is me trying to be not so hated for divulging my sin of high IQ.

I think I'd like to come out, somehow, as a freak-weirdo autistic, HIQ used-to-be-a-dreadlock-wearing (so cliche) musical artist who lived very wildish and now I'm trying to "unmask" and wondering how I can be accepted "in the market place".

I think I have shame about recognising my high IQ. It's not that I wish it were different, it's just, I've been a different fish to nearly every other fish, in the ocean around here, sooooo different, and punished and pushed out for being so different.

It's an overwhelming experience, the high IQ and sensitivities, and it overpowers most everything, although, like I said, I've developed a significant amount of emotional intelligence and I do experience INTENSE energetic mirror neuroning sensitivity, which has, is, taking a looooong time to learn how to use and not be battered around by.

I guess, the recent, growing awareness of autism/Aspergers and all the neurodivergences AND c-ptsd/ptsd is helping me realise that I do deserve a modicum of acceptance that I never knew I was entitled to, at all.

I don't "fit in" in any groups. The sensitivities and lack of supports I've always had, means that my own mind is such a refuge, now that it's not turned on itself in that abusive way or unaware and insensitive way that so many folk in my reality modelled to me.

@Justmehere , first of all thank you for your answer, because it took time and research.

I just feel quite misunderstood and am under the impression that you’re interpreting what I said as affirmations while they remain very, very vague hypotheses, and the bit about BPD and empathy really doesn’t reflect what I said as I never suggested people with BPD have a lower emotional understanding than anyone else? Nowhere I have equated HIQ with low EI. My stance actually was more to think that these tests might actually accidentally measure something else that we aren’t defining here, potentially a different pattern of thoughts, or a different approach to thinking.

On the total, I really don’t know. I was also quite interested in knowing people’s experiences towards this, because what we seem to share all here is quite a strong negativity towards having been tested and the tests themselves, with "positive" or "negative" results. Basically to boil it down, they say: you deviate from the norm. In itself, that’s quite a problematic message and it’s been quite a problem with psychiatry and medicine in general as its aim is to be corrective and to correct you need a norm.

The entire point here was more to identify divergences with which one can work rather than forcing them back in an expectation, in the method of let’s say, therapy, or in its results.

Overall it really wasn’t my objective to trigger anyone in one direction or the other but I can see the topic in itself is highly triggering.

One of my kid's (who is, by all accounts a "gifted" slash Aspie-Auti -traits-with-a-high-IQ teenage boy) told me his teacher told his class that highly intelligent people are "special needs" individuals.

I laughed, but, I think, maybe, that teacher is not wrong.

I wonder if people exhibiting hypertyhymesia will show a higher rate of PTSD? I have been interested in this subject and have to think that although the high IQ/ptsd association is there, it is possibly linked more with the high ability to recall events (hyperthymesia). Early in life I was surprised to realize that not everyone could remember events as clearly and chronologically as others, some of us had near-total recall, others didn't. I figure I was in at least the top half of the population, but age and plain old data fragmenting has slowed down the RAM. I have known people with an ability to "see" past events with a clarity that amazed me, but they suffered for it too.
Having a strong memory machine working is great when you are learning, but horrible when you want to delete some files.

I'm sorry I haven't read the posts. I wouldn't think I.Q. itself would be a factor, and of course there are many types of intelligence, though other factors like how the mind encodes memory and how strong the emotional associations, and perhaps degree of introspection or thought (which may or may not be correlated to I.Q. ) in terms of moral injury might factor in. (That is, if not much is found or thought of to be disturbing, the impact may be lessened in the moments events occur). And/ or perhaps anxiety plays a role. Or not being NT, though that alone wouldn't explain it, I don't think.

I think it's the psychological (therefore physical/ biochemical) impact that results in some kind of misfiring +/or mis-encoding or retrieval issues, but that is just my guess. Then again, the replies here are very well spoken so within this fragment of responses it would make me wonder if there is an association of some kind. But the people here would only be the ones seeking to find info, etc.

Hope that makes some sense. 🙄

This is such a great post! Not something I had ever considered. When I was 5, I spent days and hours at the administration building with people testing my IQ. They wanted to send me to some school for advanced learning, I never went though. I also remember the researchers getting excited about my high levels of comprehension and problem solving. I’m not sure what happened to the problem solving ability because I always sucked at math! However, I love to write stories and poems so I agree with creative types having high levels of mental illness. Yet, I feel I am vulnerable because of genetics. My father: NPD and Schizophrenia, My paternal grandmother: Schizophrenia, my mother: anxiety and depression, my maternal grandmother: depression, me: C-PTSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back