• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

CPTSD, DID & Trust - How To Explain To Therapist?

Compass307

New Here
I have a complex trauma history. Sexual abuse… emotional neglect. The list goes on- I’ve been working with the same therapist for over 5 years. They’re so helpful and yet part of me doesn’t trust them. I mentioned this in session recently but what I really mean I’m not trusting is that I’m afraid TO accept that I trust them, in fear that they may also be unsafe or that they will leave me.

Does anyone have advice on this? How do I explain to them my fears of trust when as a kid I couldn’t accept my feelings as valid because even if something was off.. it didn’t matter. I was still hurt. I don’t know if this makes sense but I just need some perspective. Thanks for reading!

If you have to explain you might not have the right T.

My T points it out every time trust and my past could possibly connect. When I say something like you did about trust he reassures me, even reassures the guilt I have about not being able to trust him.

People who have complex trauma have trust issues, it just is. Any therapist who doesn’t already know that probably isn’t going to be enough help.

If you’re really concerned put a list together of all the things you want them to know and hand it to them when you enter the next session. Lay it all out there, I’m guessing they already know and understand it.

If you have to explain you might not have the right T.

My T points it out every time trust and my past could possibly connect. When I say something like you did about trust he reassures me, even reassures the guilt I have about not being able to trust him.

People who have complex trauma have trust issues, it just is. Any therapist who doesn’t already know that probably isn’t going to be enough help.

If you’re really concerned put a list together of all the things you want them to know and hand it to them when you enter the next session. Lay it all out there, I’m guessing they already know and understand it.
Thank you very much for your insight. It’s very helpful and I will definitely make note of others things that feel important to me. Much goodness to you!

Back