• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sufferer CPTSD, recently started medication. Hoping to get better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! My name is Juliette. I have CPTSD from child abuse/witnessing domestic violence. I experienced a few different types of abuse, but if I had to narrow down what contributed most to my posttraumatic stress, it was probably neglect and NCCSA. I reported my abuse and went to court, but I'm beginning to suspect that court made things worse for me. I found this forum while researching some super weird symptoms that I was wondering if others experienced (if anyone's interested: it was olfactory flashbacks, like smelling my abuser's cologne when I shouldn't be).

One of my little victories recently was starting meds. I'm a few weeks in and I take Sertraline. It works super well for me but the drastic decrease in sleep quality that I've had since starting has been rough (I'd love advice on how to handle it if anyone has any). I'm still kind of struggling. My symptoms are definitely easier to handle but they aren't going away anytime soon. I hope I can learn to cope with and recognize my symptoms better while I'm here. It seems like such a nice place!

Hi, spilled-popcorn/Juliette. I also have flashbacks that include smelling my abuser. Usually, I smell him on me. Drives me mad at times. So, I can understand your struggle. Sometimes I can combat this by smelling something else that I like.

Do you have scented candles, hand lotion, lavender, cinnamon sticks, or even vanilla extract that you can go smell, whenever this happens? Once you find a scent that works, if you do, I'd suggest carrying around in your purse with you. That way, you have your secret weapon with you, and won't hopefully get too overwhelmed by the olfactory reminder of an abuser.

I'm glad you found a medication that is providing you with some relief. Have talked with your doctor about the side effects your having related to sleep? If not, it might be worth a phone call. Perhaps your doctor can tweak your dose, or give you something additional to off-set the side effects.

Sending you thoughts of healing.

Hi, spilled-popcorn/Juliette. I also have flashbacks that include smelling my abuser. Usually, I smell him on me. Drives me mad at times. So, I can understand your struggle. Sometimes I can combat this by smelling something else that I like.

Do you have scented candles, hand lotion, lavender, cinnamon sticks, or even vanilla extract that you can go smell, whenever this happens? Once you find a scent that works, if you do, I'd suggest carrying around in your purse with you. That way, you have your secret weapon with you, and won't hopefully get too overwhelmed by the olfactory reminder of an abuser.

I'm glad you found a medication that is providing you with some relief. Have talked with your doctor about the side effects your having related to sleep? If not, it might be worth a phone call. Perhaps your doctor can tweat your dose, or give you something additional to off-set the side effects.

Sending you thoughts of healing.

Thanks! That sounds like great advice. Thankfully the smell stuff is pretty rare for me. I'm just glad to hear I'm not crazy.

Welcome to the Forum! I'm sorry that you need a place like this... But glad you found us.

We share many similar challenges and traumas but there are no measuring sticks here. Everyone gets to express their own experience without judgement.

I recommend maybe starting a diary here as a way of diffusing feelings. It may or may not be read by others but it's beneficial either way.

Personally, I have a terrible time putting things into words when my soul is chaos. It's hard enough to maintain a calm demeanor which is my daily goal at this point.

I'm glad the med is starting to work! Meds are a life changing help for sure. I can't imagine where I would be without them. (Well... I tried that and it wasn't pretty)

Take care of yourself and welcome again.

Starting a diary is a great idea, but when you are new, it feels almost too daunting to do that. I spent a lot of time reading different threads. Seeing how many people felt and behaved the way I did. I took the time to see who was working on their lives.

You can start a new thread about any questions you have or anything you feel you need or want to share. It shows you people are listening and willing to help.

One great thing about this forum, besides the 'no measuring stick' that Angelkeeper shared, is, take what you need and leave the rest.

Glad you are here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back