• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Depakote Er For Ptsd???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again thank you for the last few posts!

I talked to my new Psychiatrist, a woman who is supposed to be world renowned for PTSD and other trauma related disorders, and she told me that anti-convulants like Depakote are being used more and more for PTSD with good results. I personally am only on day 10, so I cannot say that I have noticed a big difference, but I am hopeful.

I don't know if anyone told you, but Depakote has to build up in your blood level. They do tests from time to time to make sure you are within working limits of the drug. It will take some time to see (4-6 weeks for me) how it makes you feel.

Good luck with your new psychiatrist!!

Thank you Suzie Q! I know it will most likely be a few more weeks before I see real benefits from the Depakote... I guess I just have to hang in there until then :)

No malice intended, no ill will... Maybe I shouldn't post this though. But if it can help why not. I really mean it though no ill will towards anyone in here. I really don’t wanna hurt anyone’s feelings... I already feel bad X_X. I could be wrong but ima lay down my take. Depakote does not need to build up in your system for effects to be achieved. Yah they do check your blood but that's to check for renal/hepatic impairments, I don’t really think they check for blood-plasma ratios of Valporate to make sure you have enough for an effect but rather to make sure your kidney's and liver can handle it.
Hell I'm pretty sure they just test for renal/hepatic dysfunction and the drug/plasma concentration probably isn't even measured.(There different tests) 10-17 hour half life, shouldn’t be hard to build up a proper plasma concentration with multiple doses a day.

I'm just thinking... Iv'e had I phyc say adderall must be taken for a month for it to have proper effects, which is a lie, disinformation, or ignorance depending on his ideology... basically not true. Iv'e heard the "It takes a month line too many times in fact for many drugs that don't. I think this is just a really common line they use to keep people on the drug in giving the patient hopes of overnight change. Not to say that some drugs don't require time to work. Just cant think or find a reason why valporate would pharmo-dynamically.

I can personally attest that the full spectrum of effects can be achieved with a single dose at a time, having them spaced out months apart from each other. Besides taking the tablets, I've also tried Valerian root extracts with valoric acid being an active compound of the plant, pretty similar to depakote since it is snythed from it.
The only difference I can think of taking depakote over a period of time would mean side effects present may become more tolerable, more easily distinguished from other effects, taking it daily will eventually lead to an administration pattern thus leading to a steady level of drug/plasma concentration. So you'd have a baseline concentration constantly instead of having low concentrations or high depending on personal metabolism and dose scheduling.
I feel like it would be misleading to say in another week or two new effects are to be felt, the drug may have more effect but that's just the plasma concentration, you could have that same concentration of two weeks dosing in two days if you wanted, by playing around with your doses...(you don’t wanna do this though). If it works for you good but If it doesn't then no sense waiting for something new to arrive.

Hey, have things changed for you?

I was recently put on Depakote ER too. It does help with PTSD, it always helped me I just didn't know I had PTSD to recently. Seroquel is a strong drug also used for PTSD, you may have gotten use to it by now. Zyprexa works better for me though we may switch to another antipsychotic with less side effects. There are a few that could work.

Sometimes you have to combine medications depending on your diagnosis and symptoms, do you know what your diagnosis is? If you google "medications for PTSD" it gives you a list of kinds and what they are used for. To deal with psychiatrist you should go in with some knowledge of the meds and yourself, do some research, just knowing that you have PTSD is a start I know it was for me, but also try to trust the doctor, just know sometimes they have a lot of patients and may have little time for each patient, some are better then others, but if you know the medicines and how they help you, you don't have to worry about the doctor so much, trust the meds. They can help.

I hope what ever has happen since last year you are doing well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back