• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

General Do you know the shadow land where there are no words?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Never_falter2

MyPTSD Pro
My vet he told me of the shadow land like a dark place and there are no words for the things happening there, like Christopher Robin in the movie Christopher Robin is there with one leg and it’s the reason why he cannot communicate with his family and us detached from them.

Actually I wanted to ask: can you describe it?

Actually I wanted to ask: can you describe it?
Can you ask your vet to describe it?

I'm suggesting that because he could be talking about something as undefined as a metaphor for depression, or something as specific as a literary reference...it's also hard to know if how you're translating it is how we'd refer to it as an idiom in English.

So - what he means by it probably matters more than anything we might be able to tell you...

Actually my vet cannot talk about it. I mean he tried like several times and then stuttered and fell silent... and then I didn’t say anything. I saw it hurt him talking about that. I didn’t want to hurt him just to get information from him. So I told him he doesn’t need to talk about that now. Maybe later, or maybe never.
He brought it up several times.

He said just “Schattenland“, you know, „wofür es keine Worte gibt“.
And shadow - in our culture - stands just for everything bad especially violence and madness. I thought it was the same in your culture.

For example we say the “shadows of war“ when we talk of negative things associated with it and I really thought it was the same in your culture. I think I heard the phrase in English movies.

For example “Billy has a shadow“ (=rude way to say Billy has mental health problems).

For example “Billy has a shadow“ (=rude way to say Billy has mental health problems).
Ah. No, that's not something we'd use in the US.
And shadow - in our culture - stands just for everything bad especially violence and madness. I thought it was the same in your culture.
Not especially violence or madness. We more equate shadow with ominous, more like bedrohlich (I think).

Anyway - it sounds like your vet might be talking about the darkness/fog of depression...feeling isolated as if the rest of the world is happening in color, but he can only see grey. That's what it feels like to many people.
So I told him he doesn’t need to talk about that now. Maybe later, or maybe never.
He brought it up several times.
Sounds like he's trying, in his own way. It's good not to pressure him. Sounds like you're listening, which is good.

Anyway - it sounds like your vet might be talking about the darkness/fog of depression...feeling isolated as if the rest of the world is happening in color, but he can only see grey.

Yes, he said like feeling detached, like being unable to connect with the people he loves, like being different. He said like they guy in Christopher Robin feels... but a bit difficult to understand what the guy in Christopher Robin might feel like but clearly he is feeling sort of isolated. Act least acting like that (if your forget about Winnie the Pooh and that story for a while and look how is acting towards his family).

Thats a bit odd. When we were watching that movie:
Me: saw a story about Winnie the Pooh
Vet: saw a story about ptsd

(However AA Milne had ptsd and wrote Winnie the Pooh to explain war to his boy and if you watch the movie very closely you can see it... I am not so sure about the book... but there are people who clearly see it
'Winnie the Pooh' was created by a vet explaining war to his boy )

So my vet basically feels that he cannot really talk about stuff and I think he feels that we cannot really connect and he feels that it is all very bad because of the coronavirus.

Can you say more about what that is like or maybe somebody on this board?

Yes, he said like feeling detached, like being unable to connect with the people he loves, like being different. He said like they guy in Christopher Robin feels... but a bit difficult to understand what the guy in Christopher Robin might feel like but clearly he is feeling sort of isolated. Act least acting like that (if your forget about Winnie the Pooh and that story for a while and look how is acting towards his family).

Thats a bit odd. When we were watching that movie:
Me: saw a story about Winnie the Pooh
Vet: saw a story about ptsd

(However AA Milne had ptsd and wrote Winnie the Pooh to explain war to his boy and if you watch the movie very closely you can see it... I am not so sure about the book... but there are people who clearly see it
'Winnie the Pooh' was created by a vet explaining war to his boy )

So my vet basically feels that he cannot really talk about stuff and I think he feels that we cannot really connect and he feels that it is all very bad because of the coronavirus.

Can you say more about what that is like or maybe somebody on this board?
This reminds me of an author named Sylvia Plath, who wrote "The Bell Jar." In it she describes something that sounds like what you are saying; her feelings of depression led to a "disconnect" from everyone else, as if a giant bell jar had been placed over her. I have been in that head space many many times, so I wonder if this sounds like the shadowland you are describing? The main points that are similar, are that one is feeling very depressed and it seems as if outside influences and people can't reach you, however well meaning they may be.

It could be metaphorical, literary, movies, whatever...
It could be description for depression (commonly associated with 'the dark', blackness, gloom and shadows.)

And it could also be literal - for locations of his trauma.

It could, also, be any mix of the above and even different meaning on different days.

(I have several of these - where under poetic words? I may mean concrete locations or states. Ditto trauma parties - I may be unwilling to talk of who they were or are, physically, but will cheerfully name them as multiple supernatural entities, as there are some factual similarities, and it amuses the f*ck out of me, to majors I formally studied heckuva long.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back