• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

EMDR hasn’t worked!

Status
Not open for further replies.

User88

Learning
I’ve come to the end of my EMDR therapy, my therapist is allowing me 1-2 more sessions. So far, it’s not worked at all! I’m still traumatised, there has been no difference, if anything it’s made it worse. I have C-PTSD- trauma from childhood and adulthood. I’ve had CBT, counselling and now EMDR, nothing seems to work. Does anyone know what else I can try? I feel like I’m never going to be able to heal.

I'm so sorry. That is a hard thing to experience, I am sure.

I have had two types of therapy that didn't work (psychoanalytical, and then some body/breathing work) before I found the right combination. Do you think you were ready for EMDR? That modality can be frightening if you are not yet stable enough.

One thing that comes to mind is that in trauma therapy, your relationship with the therapist is extremely important. So sometimes when therapy doesn't work, it's not the modality, but that you didn't quite click with the therapist. I had a CBT therapist that didn't know much at all about trauma, but she was such a wonderful model of a good parent that my time with her really sent me on a path of healing.

Hi, I'm so sorry EMDR didn't work for you. Have you tried trauma writing therapy? It really worked for me. I did it at home, it's five structured writing sessions that target the trauma memory. Very similar to EMDR in theory. You can ask a therapist for it ("written exposure therapy") or do it yourself with an app.

Last edited by a moderator:
User88, since psychotherapy hasn't seemed to have helped you, have you also tried going on psychiatric medication?

Some people find psychotherapy to unhelpful, until they get on medication(s) that works well for them, that is. After they get on meds, they then find the psychotherapy to be effective.

Maybe in your case you need a combo of meds and therapy.

Hi, I'm so sorry EMDR didn't work for you. Have you tried trauma writing therapy? It really worked for me. I did it at home, it's five structured writing sessions that target the trauma memory. Very similar to EMDR in theory. You can ask a therapist for it ("written exposure therapy") or do it yourself with an app.

I have done a lot of writing therapy, and that was really helpful....and mostly all was done at home. I also started taking individual art lessons.....and clay work was very helpful....I made 3-D figures....with interesting expressions of feelings. I felt a feeling of pride with clay....that I hadn't had elsewhere. Drawing and poetry have also been helpful. Another thing that I think has been highly important is me finding things that make me happy while doing them regularly. Regular exercise has been highly beneficial for my brain chemistry and I rarely take meds for anxiety....... and eating regularly and taking vitamins...has helped that part too.

I found doing the same old thing, and hanging with the same old negative folks did not help me see the world in a different light. Developing consistent boundaries helped reduce fear -provided a sense of safety. I also re-evaluated my entire value system.....how do I want to be seen and described by others.....what memories do I want to remember in my old age.....I think the majority of my work came from me being the bus driver.....not the therapist driving the bus.

As far as trauma memories, I have a containment system.....an imaginary pot to put them in and keep them there....and it's kinda full. I'm now taking things out and looking at them....and putting them back when I'm done.....so I'm not a hot mess all the time while working on parts of trauma. That is a skill I developed before opening the "lets look at my trauma" with T. So, are you prepared to look at your trauma, and do you have a containment system or place to put it away when you are done. It will always be with you.....its a part of you, but it doesn't have to always be triggering if you can contain it adequately (I didn't say not think about it.....adequately....so you don't get too overwhelmed). I think the more I take it out and look at it a little at a time....the easier it is to manage the truth about it. Right now, I'm blessed to have a very highly qualified trauma therapist. So, do you feel like you've been really ready to take your trauma out and talk about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back